UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2020, 3:49 pm   #1
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default 1960 green magic eye

Hi everyone, I'm restoring a 1963 valve tape recorder, the green magic lamp is working fine but my question is this:

The lamp has some red tape in the centre of the valve which must donate maximum input levels, this tape has come off, can you buy this tape or what type of replacement tape should i use as i reckon it must be heat resistant.
Thanks
Trev
Old 30th Jun 2020, 8:54 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: 1960 green magic eye

I have only seen tape on a Magic Eye valve once before, not sure if it was an original fit or something that someone had added as a level indicator.

Could you get by with not replacing the tape ?

David
Old 30th Jun 2020, 9:14 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

There were quite a few with a strip of red tape around the magic eye to show if the recording level was too high. Any red transparent tape, sweet wrapping, or similar will do. Not critical if you remember not to let the two beams get too close to joining.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:58 pm   #4
unitelex
Hexode

Kapton tape would withstand the heat and be transparent and durable, but I have never seen it in red colour
Could you consider a thin coat of red varnish carefully applied using masking tape (removed before varnish sets) to get a clean edge

Best Regards
Chris
Old 1st Jul 2020, 8:49 am   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

You can get transparent red gels for theatre lighting that will withstand the heat from the magic eye.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 3:37 pm   #6
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I have only seen tape on a Magic Eye valve once before, not sure if it was an original fit or something that someone had added as a level indicator.

Could you get by with not replacing the tape ?

David
Hi David, this tape was put on when the machine was new, i can managed without but for originality i would like to have it as it should.
Thanks, Trev
Old 1st Jul 2020, 3:38 pm   #7
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
There were quite a few with a strip of red tape around the magic eye to show if the recording level was too high. Any red transparent tape, sweet wrapping, or similar will do. Not critical if you remember not to let the two beams get too close to joining.
Hi, ive got red tape but what about the heat generated by the valve? Could it be a fire risk.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 3:40 pm   #8
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitelex View Post
Kapton tape would withstand the heat and be transparent and durable, but I have never seen it in red colour
Could you consider a thin coat of red varnish carefully applied using masking tape (removed before varnish sets) to get a clean edge

Best Regards
Chris
Yes i could Chris and its a reasonable idea matey, thank you.
Trev
Old 1st Jul 2020, 5:11 pm   #9
Bill
Pentode

There is very little heat in a magic eye (EM84?) . Risk of fire with any kind of tape must be miniscule. Different matter if it was round a thrashed EL84! Yes, I've seen tape on a M.E. long time ago, no idea what sort of tape though.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 8:42 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, try a band of red nail varnish

Ed
Old 1st Jul 2020, 9:06 pm   #11
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

This any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273601434333

I'm not sure how heat resistant it is, but indicator valves only take very low cathode–currents with a typical anode dissipation of typically 0.25–0.5W, and don't run more than luke–warm in my experience!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 1st Jul 2020 at 9:20 pm.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 9:59 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Yes, this valve only gets warm rather than hot.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 5:58 am   #13
ricard
Octode

If I recall correctly, the EM84 valve when connected as suggested by the manufacturer has no overlap between the green segments at maximum input level, whereas the slightly later EM87 does. However, by juggling the resistor values - I think by placing a resistor in the connection between the target and B+, it's possible to get overlap also on the EM84, and some manufacturers such as Grundig did just that, whereas others, notably Philips, tended to opt for a red band.

The problem I feel with the red band is that it tends to cut down the light quite a bit, so rather than glowing bright red to indicate overload, one just sees the green segments disappear into the red area, so I the visual impact of just having two overlapping green segments is better.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:36 pm   #14
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There is very little heat in a magic eye (EM84?) . Risk of fire with any kind of tape must be miniscule. Different matter if it was round a thrashed EL84! Yes, I've seen tape on a M.E. long time ago, no idea what sort of tape though.
Thanks for the info Bill.
Much appreciated.
Trev
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:37 pm   #15
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi, try a band of red nail varnish

Ed
Hi Ed, thanks for your thoughts, my wife said the same.
Trev
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:39 pm   #16
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Hi!

This any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273601434333

I'm not sure how heat resistant it is, but indicator valves only take very low cathode–currents with a typical anode dissipation of typically 0.25–0.5W, and don't run more than luke–warm in my experience!

Chris Williams
Thanks Chris, I'll check it out as soon as possible.
Trev
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:42 pm   #17
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
If I recall correctly, the EM84 valve when connected as suggested by the manufacturer has no overlap between the green segments at maximum input level, whereas the slightly later EM87 does. However, by juggling the resistor values - I think by placing a resistor in the connection between the target and B+, it's possible to get overlap also on the EM84, and some manufacturers such as Grundig did just that, whereas others, notably Philips, tended to opt for a red band.

The problem I feel with the red band is that it tends to cut down the light quite a bit, so rather than glowing bright red to indicate overload, one just sees the green segments disappear into the red area, so I the visual impact of just having two overlapping green segments is better.
Yes you're right, the red band does tend to cut down the light and having the two overlapping green segments might be a better option.
Thanks for your input.
Trev
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 7:42 pm   #18
Paulus.d
Hexode

I used a Piece of red leader from one of my tapes.... formed it in a loop round the valve and stuck it with a bit of glue!!
It's still quite see through enough to see the beams //
Regards Paul
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 8:27 pm   #19
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post

Have never seen a red band on a EM84, would be interesting to see a photo, am so used to seeing the overlap on the Grundigs.

Checking a typical Grundig that uses the EM84 they use the same anode load resistor of 470k on pin 9 as the Elizabethan but whereas on the Elizabethan where the Target (pin 6) is connected to the top end of the anode load resistor/HT supply, the Grundig fit a 100k resistor between pin 6 and the top end of the anode resistor.

Note on the Elizabethan the anode via the resistor is connected to a lower HT of around 160 volts (i.e. not the full/main HT) whereas on a typical Grundig the anode via its resistor is taken to the main HT of around 260 volts.

Sometime out of interest I will link out the 100k resistor to see the operational effect.

David
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 10:09 pm   #20
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The Robuk RK3/RK4 range of machines fit a 100k resistor between the target–anode pin 6 and the h t. supply lead – the Robuks tended to use a higher value of h.t. than was customary in most such machines, the Robuks I came across had a smoothed h.t. of 275–280V.

(None of the Robuk Service Data I came across gave any component–values, valve types, operating–voltages, etc., on it)

Chris Williams