UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2020, 5:10 pm   #1
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Filtered IEC inputs sockets.

I've been working on a couple of pieces of test equipment today, assessing next steps. A Marconi freqeuncy counter I opened up has a filtered IEC mains inlet, so I was concerned having heard about the habit of some to let the smoke out (specifically Schaffner ones).

So am I right to be happy that this one is a Bulgin? Or do all of these filtered inputs have the smelly smoky habit and I need to change it out?
Old 8th Jul 2020, 5:44 pm   #2

Default Re: Filtered IEC inputs sockets.

I have never seen one go bang, I use them quite a lot for home stuff too, you can get fuses and a switch too along with the filtering.

Old 8th Jul 2020, 6:11 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Never had a Bulgin one go bang only Schaffner ones with Rifa caps inside.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 9:08 pm   #4
Jonster
Heptode

I have repaired several items of sbs broadcast equipment that used the Schaffner inlets that have gone short circuit. The Rifa caps within have fearsome reputation.

I was working on a classic Revox B760 FM tuner last week that had a Rifa cap across the mains, it let go with a loud report and a cloud of very obnoxious smoke, thankfully I was on the other side of the workshop when it went!
Old 8th Jul 2020, 10:35 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Filtered IEC inputs sockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
I have repaired several items of SBS broadcast equipment that used the Schaffner inlets that have gone short circuit. The Rifa caps within have fearsome reputation.
Ah, Yes! When I was employed by SBS (Sound Broadcasting Services) as a Test Engineer, replacing those was a regular event.

Al.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 3:34 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

OK, thanks all. I'll not worry overly. I still have a philips function generator to check to see if that has a Schaffner, but the Marconi one I'll leave the filter alone. Still a few tantalums to worry about, though.
Closed Thread