UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:43 pm   #101
Mistral13
Triode

Default Re: Ferrograph Series 7 Model Number Identification

The lid I have with this 722, and indeed the ones we used at the uni radio station are/were made of wood but finished in the same dark grey vinyl as the main case.

The edges are also more finished in that they have a rounded profile, although they use the same black plastic 'fingers' to locate the lid on the base unit.

I can't help wondering if the 'finished' lids were an option at some point and the transit lids were simply part of the packaging which were retained after delivery.

In fact I've never seen a transit lid before!

David
Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:02 am   #102
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Peter suggested that they may have been [literally] a throw away item, or perceived to be so. That might account for rarity value. They are certainly custom built and only fit one way round. At the top [above Transit Lid lettering] there is a small arrow to assist with getting this right. I commented that I could only get the sales info back then but I don't recall the mention of any kind of lid in there. Does anyone have a copy by any chance

Dave W
Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:42 am   #103
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Dave there are 2 different Series 7 Brochures on hifiengine, they are too large to attach here.

David
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:37 am   #104
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Note - you may not see Series 7 if you search under Database, but you will find them if you go to Library.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:35 am   #105
Mistral13
Triode

Just snipped this from one of those brochures; its the codes and suffixes for different models, plus a photo of the vinyl covered version of the lid.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferro codes.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	199293  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:11 pm   #106
dave walsh
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Ferrograph Series 7

Thanks for the info chaps. I only ever saw a brochure circa 1968 and didn't remember anything in it about lids. That's why I picked up on Peter's interest.
It was promoted as a glamorous vertical deck and a new Era for the Company.
I was wondering if any sales literature exists in particular. It's interesting to see a renewed interest in these recorders that previously seemed to be a bit of a Marmite item. There is another thread that contains a well thought out description of how the Company went a bit wrong at that point with production quality! I've got a 1972 Mag with a Review that I will try to locate

Dave

MODS I've had three attempts at posting on the original Series 7 thread due to the dreaded Windows 10 instability virus which [like the Spanish Inquisition in Monty Python] no one expects! I didn't realise I was now on a second thread. Can you move my post to the original one so it makes more sense please? Thanks.

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Feb 2020 at 1:23 pm.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:42 pm   #107
flywheel
Tetrode

I think the transit lids were standard with the teak-veneered case models (up to and including Logic 7). The vinyl-covered cases I think had the matching lid as standard. A perspex lid was the extra intended for the teak cased models.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 3:08 pm   #108
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Wired up a couple of phono cables to 3 pole PO316/Gauge B jack plugs for use with this Series 7 that has the balanced isolating transformer line inputs. Later will wire another two 3 pole jack plugs to this cable for the transformer line outputs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200222_170429936.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	199568  
Old 27th Feb 2020, 9:13 pm   #109
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Now have eventually got back to refitting the power supply assembly back into the incomplete unit (previously removed as practice for removing the power supply from the complete unit for testing the power supply off load) and the unit back into its metal case, just for tidying up.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 10:47 am   #110
dave walsh
Dekatron

I have now located the mag with series seven review. Its in electronics today international-No 1 [April 1972]. MODEL 7HD First R to R with Dolby is claimed! 722 HD Serial No 81658 Full Spec and fr charts include in the article! If it's on line somewhere perhaps someone can link it to this usefull thread. Not me This is my first posting from home rather than Rammy Libray as it became economic to install Broadband here at last and I'm fiding it hard work to use a touch tablet with detachable keyboard as it is In the last analysis I can photo copy the pages and send them to somone who can do an optimum electronic transfer but only if there is any interest?

Dave W
Old 5th Mar 2020, 12:43 pm   #111
Mistral13
Triode

Here's the link for Dave's magazine find - just pick 'April 72' and you will get a download in pdf form. The Ferro article runs from page 44 to 48 - the scan isn't wonderful, but is usable.

Link: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/ETI_Magazine.htm

David B
Old 6th Mar 2020, 4:08 pm   #112
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well done David B and thanks to Dave W for advising of the review article.

David
Old 6th Mar 2020, 5:39 pm   #113
Mistral13
Triode

Ta very much! But really the thanks should go to Dave W for finding the article, all I did was stumble around the internet for a few minutes!
Old 6th Mar 2020, 5:51 pm   #114
dave walsh
Dekatron

yes but i needed the tech support david! I've had the mag for a long time but not from 1972. It was the closest I got to an S7 for a long time. I helped my brother sell a couple of the Battleship models and just kept the 7 as I was curious about the negative comments!
I've managed to lose the recorder twice, ironically because the wooden lid cocealed it in the pile

Dave

The beer symbol wasn't intended but I'll leave it. using this key board is like doing micro surgery.

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Mar 2020 at 5:58 pm.
Old 19th Apr 2020, 8:13 pm   #115
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Not great quality but Series 7 review.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ferrograph 7 Review.pdf (698.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 5th Jul 2020, 10:24 pm   #116
DMcMahon
Dekatron

On the complete unit replaced the 3 idler wheels (with series 5 idler wheels) and the Pinch Roller (with new one). Even though they were quite gooey clean up was not bad.

Even though I put it safe the Pinch Roller spring retainer clip disappeared, hopefully it will turn up, no spare part on the incomplete unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New and old Pinch Roller.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	210380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement  and old idler wheels.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	210381   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Pinch Roller.jpg
Views:	53