UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2008, 1:29 pm   #21
batterymaker1
Heptode

Default Re: Philco People's Set c.1937

Great repro. I bet your hands are tired....
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 3:28 pm   #22
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Well done Robert, that's a fantastic rebuild/restoration.

David
Old 24th Oct 2008, 12:20 am   #23
Tazman1966
Nonode

I'll go along with that Robert. As for the back cover, it's a work of art.

Thanks for sharing this with us,
Old 24th Oct 2008, 8:24 am   #24
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Wow - what a fantastic job, and the same goes for the write-up. An inspiration to us all!
Keep it up, Robert.

It's a warm and comforting feeling to know that all the mistakes that we have made over the years by scrapping things just for monetary reasons is now starting to turn, due to your efforts and those and many others on here.

I particularly like your back cover - the first things to go missing or get damaged.
Old 24th Oct 2008, 2:08 pm   #25
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I'm speechless! It's a work of art in itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
Now that's attention to duty! Excellent. Well done that man. What a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
What a job! I admire your patience, end result looks fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Well done Robert, that's a fantastic rebuild/restoration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
I'll go along with that Robert. As for the back cover, it's a work of art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Wow - what a fantastic job, and the same goes for the write-up. An inspiration to us all!
Keep it up, Robert.
Thank you for all those kind comments and words of support, I very much appreciate it!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 24th Oct 2008, 2:22 pm   #26
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Even wower!
I think you have a business oppertunity there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterymaker1 View Post
Great repro. I bet your hands are tired....
Regarding a 'business opportunity' Tim, I think not, at least not doing it the way I made this one. It wasn't my hands that were tired Bill, it was my poor neck and back! I'd been bent over for nearly two hours in total drilling all those holes with an handheld electric drill and couldn't straighten up when I'd finished!

So if I was ever to make more than just the odd one now and again I'd have to get a bench mounted drill first I think!

Thank you both for your kind comments too!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 24th Oct 2008, 7:28 pm   #27
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There was an article in the Bulletin about making backs like this. I presume your saw it?

Chinese-made bench/pillar drills can be had surprisingly cheaply from B&Q etc. if you've got the space.

Nick.
Old 24th Oct 2008, 7:42 pm   #28
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hi Nick,

Yes, now that you've reminded me, I did read that article at the time. I've just checked and it was in the Winter 2007 issue. Funny thing is I'd forgotten all about it until you jogged my memory just now!

Whilst I was drilling out all those holes in the hexagon shapes I kept getting a vague recollection of seeing a drilling guide someone had made for the very same job, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it. I thought it was most likely on a webpage somewhere!

I've not checked out prices of bench drills, so will definitely have to see what is available. I've certainly got plenty of room for one!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 25th Oct 2008, 8:54 am   #29
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Robert
Have a look at Machine Mart, there's probably one near you.
Generally about £40 for a fairly low powered one, but worth having.

Those with lower speeds for bigger drills have a gearbox and tend to cost a lot more.

If you are going to MM, they have a selection of cheap 'returns' that have been rejected for some reason, usually payment problems. Mine was such - all that was wrong was a loose screw on the pulley, it had never been used and was ca £22.

Another possibility is a Dremel in a stand ...

I'm amazed that you did all this without!
Old 25th Oct 2008, 10:05 am   #30
ColinB
Heptode

Hi Robert,

I think it's already been said, but what a fantastic restoration! You must be very proud to see the end result - excellent stuff.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 25th Oct 2008, 11:05 pm   #31
maitiustandun
Pentode

nice one robert, as a matter of interest how did you manage to get a clean cut , i tried it once but could not get a clean way through maybe a special bit lovely bit of workmanship anyway , regards maitiu.
Old 26th Oct 2008, 2:13 pm   #32
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Have a look at Machine Mart, there's probably one near you.
Thanks for that Mike, I will pay a visit to my local store. But I've also subtly suggested a suitable Christmas present idea to my better half!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
...what a fantastic restoration! You must be very proud to see the end result - excellent stuff.
Very kind of you to say so Colin, thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitiustandun View Post
nice one robert, as a matter of interest how did you manage to get a clean cut...
No special bits or anything out of the ordinary Maitiu. All I did was clamp the mdf firmly to my workmate with a sheet of scrap board underneath to minimise any blow-out and protect the bench.

The smaller holes were drilled with a standard 5mm wood cutting bit and the larger holes a 25mm spade type bit, using an handheld variable speed electric drill set to run at a fairly low speed.

Afterwards a good rub down with 150 grade sandpaper got rid of any bits of fibreboard that were still hanging on and smoothed out any roughness. Basically that was it, and just seemingly never-ending drilling out all those hundreds of holes!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 30th Oct 2008, 3:35 am   #33
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Chassis Restoration - part 2

My initial work on the chassis was basically doing just enough to get the set operating safely. I did mention I had given thought to repainting the chassis and frame of the tuning capacitor which had rusted somewhat, I have now completed that work and the result is shown in the pictures below.

Whilst I had the chassis out I also took the opportunity to replace two further electrolytics and all of the tubular wax capacitors that were remaining with yellow 630V polypropylene types. I also replaced the rubber mountings at the front of the tuning capacitor, the old ones were no longer flexible but just hard and brittle after 70 years!

The top and sides of the chassis have been painted in grey Smoothrite, whilst the tuning capacitor and mains transformer have been given a coat of the same product in silver.

The original two large cyclindrical electrolytics have been carefully polished with Brasso, and retained for appearances sake whilst having being electrically disconnected below the chassis. I had intended to restuff these components, but decided it was not really necessary and far easier to add the new electrolytics underneath instead.

It was quite time consuming, and a steady hand needed, to paint the chassis without stripping it down first. But I'm more than happy with how its turned out, a definite improvement I think to the overall appearance of the inside of the set.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peoples set 6-1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	20924   Click image for larger version

Name:	peoples set 6-2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	20925   Click image for larger version

Name:	peoples set 6-3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	20926   Click image for larger version

Name:	peoples set 6-4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	20927   Click image for larger version

Name:	peoples set 6-5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	20928  

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 30th Oct 2008, 12:10 pm   #34
Aerodyne
Octode

A little late, but I'll add my congratulations too, to the many already on this thread. You've proved what many of us believe - that there is great personal satisfaction in the recovery of something (or things, in your case) that might be thought by some to be worthless. A really effective restoration, thoughtfully carried out and with great skill and care. I love that replacement back panel, but I suggest that should you do more of them, you might be advised (for the sake of your back) to buy a pillar drill!
Lovely job.
-Tony
Old 31st Oct 2008, 7:40 pm   #35
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
...A really effective restoration, thoughtfully carried out and with great skill and care.
Thanks very much for saying that Tony, to receive that kind of comment from someone with your experience and reputation at restoring vintage radio's means a great deal more to me. Very nice of you, thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
...I love that replacement back panel, but I suggest that should you do more of them, you might be advised (for the sake of your back) to buy a pillar drill!
Yes I've learned my lesson! No more doing it the hard, and painful, way!

Kind regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread