UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:51 am   #1
AdrianH
Heptode

Default R210 12 way connector.

I just realised I had not checked for a wanted part on here with the group, so in case someone can help and has a surplus connector they would not mind passing on.

It would be a 12 way female connector with a course thread nut to fit the chassis connector pictured below. I have been informed a black insert type can be rotated if required?

Click image for larger version

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	230972

Adrian
Old 6th Apr 2021, 1:44 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Default Re: R210 12 way connector

I have several male and female chassis versions but only a couple of cable male plugs, however if you know of a way to swap over the inserts I could supply a male plug and female chassis socket.
Dave
Old 6th Apr 2021, 1:51 pm   #3
AdrianH
Heptode

Hello Dave I do not know if it is possible, but I would give it a try if you think they are the correct orientation pins/ways etc. If you want to let me know how much for the parts and postage.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 6th Apr 2021, 3:17 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

Yes, the black insert one can be rotated, as I (finally) found out! These plugs do arrive in various keyed positions. You have to remove the tiny interior circlip/ring from the rear.
And I think I was able to swap inserts from plugs to sockets.
Good hunting,
Jeremy
Old 6th Apr 2021, 5:46 pm   #5
robinshack
Octode

Online, I found a very informative pdf. I will see if I can find the link when on main pc. I'm sure I saved it. However, it was for the Mk4 connectors, shiny aluminium body.
Rob
Old 6th Apr 2021, 9:50 pm   #6
Rileyman
Tetrode

Default Re: R210 12 way connector.

Hi , Adrian .
Couldn't believe it when I chanced upon your post just now . For the last 3 days I've been digging-out my (rather heavy !) box of Plessey Connectors -- Mk4 Alum. / Mk4 Brass. / Mk7 . --- with the aim of making space by offering most of it to members in the not too distant future . This very evening I've made a list of my small number of (wait for it!) Mk7 and Mk4(Brass) 12-way plugs and sockets ! Sadly all the Mk7s are plugs (and there would, of course, be the "odds" of finding a socket with the correct polarisation -- not adjustable).
However , if you are really stuck , I can build-up a Mk4 Brass Free Socket for you , with either a straight or 90 degree entry . I have had my own set of the correct tools for many years , so not a problem at this end , but I must point out that these connectors are "used" in that they were cropped-off with a short piece of cable attached , (not opened-up) , many years ago at the end of some commissioning trials.

Laurie.
Rileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2021, 10:23 pm   #7
Rileyman
Tetrode

Just a thought , Can you confirm that the topmost pin in your photo (close to the black triangle) is pin K ?

Laurie.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 12:04 am   #8
AdrianH
Heptode

Sorry for the delay in getting back. my PC has just finished an upgrade to the latest Ubuntu.

I can confirm that the top pin is 'K' and if you could make up a free socket I would be a happy bunny, (If that was possible). The fact that these are used is of no concern to me providing I can get to resolder some new wires on somewhere I will be fine, a 90 degree would probably be better as it would stick up less and if I am correct go out on the left side. My only other option was to buy a complete cable from somewhere and ten cut it up.

Please let me know what you would want for this service.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 7th Apr 2021, 10:18 am   #9
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Looks like Laurie has it sorted but if still needed, I have put aside 2 male cable plugs and 2 female chassis sockets. The males are both black insulation and the sockets are one black and one green/black. Likewise they are all used with bits of wire still attached and will also need cleaning.
Dave
Old 7th Apr 2021, 10:52 am   #10
AdrianH
Heptode

Dave send me a PM with costs for them and postage, I will still take them as it could well give me options to build add on bits for the R210. I am enjoying Wefax reception and would like to add other old modes of reception.

Adrian
Old 7th Apr 2021, 1:56 pm   #11
Julesomega
Octode

Is there any chance of parts for a 12-way free socket to suit the Receiver type R/75/WRDV/3550?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R210-12 Connector.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	231154  

It's good here
Julesomega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2021, 4:17 pm   #12
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Having got Adrian's items ready for post, I had another look in my box of 11 way and up connectors. I currently have 8 more of both male and female chassis sockets as in the photo posted by Julian, so a grand total of 16 used chassis connectors. Sorry no more cable mount varieties at present. If they are help to anyone else send me a PM.
Dave
Old 7th Apr 2021, 4:36 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
Yes, the black insert one can be rotated, as I (finally) found out! These plugs do arrive in various keyed positions. You have to remove the tiny interior circlip/ring from the rear.
Good hunting,
Jeremy
'Tis so, at least for the aluminium Mk.4 series- I was able to transfer a 12-way socket insert from panel socket to line plug shell for power input to a Pye CAT receiver as mentioned by Julesomega.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2021, 9:05 pm   #14
Rileyman
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
Good hunting,
Jeremy
'Tis so, at least for the aluminium Mk.4 series- I was able to transfer a 12-way socket insert from panel socket to line plug shell for power input to a Pye CAT receiver as mentioned by Julesomega.
Also true of the Mk4 Brass series -- as I've just done for Adrian. But note that the part black / part green inserts (these are in Mk7s not Mk4s) are not removable , (at least , not intended to be !) and there's no provision for setting the orientation anyway.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 9:19 pm   #15
Rileyman
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Is there any chance of parts for a 12-way free socket to suit the Receiver type R/75/WRDV/3550?
From your photo it looks like the Mk4 Aluminium type . Can you have a peer inside it (not easy to see contact letters and orientation numbers -- I have to use a lens and good light !) -- and tell me the no. of its orientation ? you'll be looking to spot a (hopefully!) shiny metal tab down one of the slots around the periphery of the black insert.

Laurie.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 10:23 pm   #16
Julesomega
Octode

Sounds promising, Laurie! I'll open it up in the daylight tomorrow and see what I can find. I also have a few of this series of connectors which I shall seek out and offer on the forum

It's good here
Old 8th Apr 2021, 6:35 pm   #17
Julesomega
Octode

I don't know about a shiny metal strip, but there's a bit of rusty steel as shown. You can probably make out a few letters by the pins
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12-way chassis plug.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	231233  

It's good here
Old 8th Apr 2021, 11:27 pm   #18
Rileyman
Tetrode

Hi , Julian . Just been looking at your latest photo , and I'm pretty sure that your chassis-mounted plug has the insert at orientation 3 .
One other point (just to be doubly sure !) -- I assume that the plug has an aluminium body , with a fine thread ? I can build-up a free skt. for you but the only cable-entry bits I have left are (1) a fairly wide-bore right-angle one,or (2) a long straight one . Let me know what you prefer .

Laurie.
Old 9th Apr 2021, 8:52 am   #19
Julesomega
Octode

That would be wonderful, Laurie, and my preference would be for the right-angle outlet. The thread on the socket is about 1.2mm pitch with a major dia about 24.5mm
I will email you to arrange

It's good here
Old 9th Apr 2021, 11:16 am   #20
Rileyman
Tetrode

Good morning Julian , I'll put it together with the 90 degree elbow but leave the clamping ring easy to undo . Everyone please note :- I'd stayed-up too late last night ,. -- and stated that the insert orientation was 3 . Wrong! It is 6 . Only realised this a few minutes ago when I looked again at the 1st. photo which clearly shows the relationship between the insert position and the flat on the external thread on the body .
The point being that the orientation tag on the inside of the body is adjacent to that flat --- and directly opposite the single polarising slot on the inside of the body. If only I'd remembered this earlier ! Sorry folks.

Laurie.