UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:00 pm   #101
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Default Re: Save our 2 Metre Band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBX1220 View Post
Unfortunately not much activity here tonight. Last month was busy. Did not work anything in more than a 30 mile radius.

Ho Hum
Band was hopping, sporadic E to Croatia, Italy and Greece, I managed 4 x 9A stations with crazy signal strengths. Great fun
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:47 pm   #102
GSBX1220
Pentode

Nothing like that here at all. Just normal flat conditions.

I can hear the 144.482 beacon in GI in flat conditions and I have been monitoring it over the last month or so for any lift, and it has never significantly increased in strength.

This sporadic e seems very shy in coming up to GM land this year!
Old 13th Jul 2019, 3:05 pm   #103
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Finished recapping the mutek 251. Lancashire to ales with antennas on the ground at both ends

https://youtu.be/bF8gfOv2ZOE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CD71D8E-60CB-4E8F-94E8-1E8C30268235.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	186595  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 5:01 pm   #104
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Good stuff and I like the swr meter,I still have mine from the year dot and the box.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 7:35 pm   #105
MrBungle
Dekatron

FB OM

I’m going portable tomorrow. Mostly on 20/40m SSB but will take an HT and my slim Jim along and see if I get anything interesting on 2m FM. ~13:00 UTC, Walbury Hill, IO91gi if anyone fancies pointing their antenna in that general direction
Old 14th Jul 2019, 9:26 am   #106
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I went by The Lion Inn, Blakey Rigg, on the spine of the North York Moors yesterday (Saturday 13th July, for those reading this on catch-up) and there was a fairly serious looking /P amateur set-up just off to one side of the car park.

Unfortunately SWMBO was with me so I had to feign lack of interest (we have many common interests but radio is not one of them, alas). I don't know if there was some sort of field day or Raynet exercise going on?
Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:06 pm   #107
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Thanks. Yes I like the oskerblok but I think its a tad conservative on power readings.

Ive put the beam up temporarily beaming ssw until rotator cable arrives. Not in a rush, waited 20 odd years for a decent rotatable set up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	805F7BC3-BB40-4970-997F-F1DE90752F4F.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	186670  
Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:07 pm   #108
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Is that a Tennamast or on a trailer?
Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:57 pm   #109
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Back on topic,the IARU are doing a lot it seems according to Southgate News,to stop amateurs around the world sharing the 2 M band with aeronautical services.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 2:16 pm   #110
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

There was some uppy-downy lift going on this (Sunday) lunchtime on 2m, I was listening (near the north Yorkshire coast) to an M0 who was working /P somewhere in the Midlands, and also heard an MW/P station who was working him. A lot of QSB though.

Hamish, as someone said earlier, it would be folly indeed to put mission critical traffic onto a band for which transmitting apparatus can now be bought, no questions asked, for as little as £20. The ground to air range from a 5 watt VHF handheld must be considerable. I hope someone is pointing this out. That factor alone ought to be enough to put them off the idea.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 3:03 pm   #111
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'd rather think that any new "aviation" use of 2M would be digital and using the same sort of adaptive multi-carrier-multiplexing concepts as is used by stuff like ADSL - so narrow-band interference from a 2M FM handheld or mobile wouldn't be a significant issue to it.

It would however raise the overall noise-floor and make life difficult for weak-signal amateur operation to coexist, in much the same way as raspy TV-timebase harmonics popping up every 15KHz were the bane of 80/40/20M operation in the last century.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 3:14 pm   #112
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I'd rather think that any new "aviation" use of 2M would be digital
Except that aviation is always AM for the good reason that weak signals can be resolved. Not so with digital or FM when channels are shared.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 4:02 pm   #113
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Except that aviation is always AM for the good reason that weak signals can be resolved. Not so with digital or FM when channels are shared.
You're quaintly assuming that this proposed 2M aviation-extension is somehow to provide more legacy-style voice communications to humans-in-traditional-aircraft.

From what I've seen it would be for unspecified 'new stuff' associated with drones/UAVs, which don't need old-fashioned speech-comms.

[The proposal is largely associated with Thales/Alenia who don't make manned aircraft]
Old 14th Jul 2019, 4:05 pm   #114
MrBungle
Dekatron

Well 2m was dead up Walbury Hill. That was until I got to the car and then suddenly there was a QSO going. Managed to make a couple of contacts on 40m but QSB was awful.

As for the comments above about noise floor it was S0 noise up there on 20, 30 and 40m. Thought something was broken! Made two contacts in the end on SSB so good day out.

Also managed to get a couple of books at McMichael rally.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 12:00 am   #115
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
...any new "aviation" use of 2M would be digital and using the same sort of adaptive multi-carrier-multiplexing concepts as is used by stuff like ADSL - so narrow-band interference from a 2M FM handheld or mobile wouldn't be a significant issue to it.
Well, that's true, but those of us who spend time on the North Yorkshire Moors know very well what constant spread-spectrum transmission can do to reception of conventional comms, although in that particular case the transmissions are on 70cms, ground-based and at very high power: The result sounds like heavy 'ignition interference' superimposed on anything but the strongest received NB signals on that band in that area.

While the sort of system you suggest would not use anything like as much RF power the airbourne component of it could potentially reach over a very wide area due to altitude. We don't need yet another potential source of interference to any of our bands, those we already contend with are more than enough.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 12:49 pm   #116
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Is that a Tennamast or on a trailer?
Hi , its a tennamast on the side of the house extension
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D3AF4F2F-4E6E-4DAA-81F3-E7419289E2C1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	186729  
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:10 pm   #117
Radio Wrangler

Just been passed a local radio club circular message.

Someone had asked the repeater group about GB3FF, once the main repeater for Eastern Scottish lowlands. It's been off the air for a while and he wanted to know when it was going to be fixed. The reply was that it probably wouldn't as there were only 6 paying members on this side of the country.

I don't suppose there's any reason renewing my sub next year.

Apart from exceptional openings or the occasional contest, the band seems unused.

David
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:15 pm   #118
MrBungle
Dekatron

Interestingly on this point, I was talking to some passing cyclists who wondered what the hell I was doing on Sunday and they outlined the decline I think:

"you do know we've got mobile phones these days, but I'm sure you've heard that before"

One of them did mention playing around with CB radios in the 1980s however so they weren't quite as ignorant as they made themselves out to be
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:19 pm   #119
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
One of them did mention playing around with CB radios in the 1980s however so they weren't quite as ignorant as they made themselves out to be
Hmm, I would infer the opposite from that statement. ;-)
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:28 pm   #120
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you Steve, I have one here on the floor, though I now also have a 30 foot or so trailer mast.
Just a bit wary on planning if I put up the Tennamast, though I got retrospect in Scotland for it.