UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2011, 1:24 pm   #21
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Re: Pifco sun lamp.

Hi thank you copper coated rods look like the way to go. John thank you for taking the trouble to look, AJS thank you also. not wishing to go OT but -------- Where to get Ferric Chloride please ?
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 1:35 pm   #22
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

RS sell Ferric chloride in various packages. For example: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=4349056

Guess that Rapid and Farnell sell it too.

As an alternative dilute nitric acid will take the copper off without touching the carbon.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 6:31 pm   #23
Geoff 555
Heptode

Thank you Jeffrey, I am getting more stupid as the days go by, recognised the name but couldnt think what it was for. ETCHING pcb's etc. Apologies for asking such a +++++++ question.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 6:42 pm   #24
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
I don't expect the copper is very thick. A good rub with emery cloth would probably do it.
Alan
Certainly cinema carbons were plated up to a fair thickness - 3 thou' or so. (For comparison, a typical PCB track thickness is 1 thou'). It could be removed by emery paper, but only with a lot of rubbing!

But I'm puzzled as to why remove copper plating anyway? It improves conductivity up to near the region of the arc, and also stops the carbon from vapourising along its length (subliming is technically the correct term). Near the arc, the copper just melts off for the last half inch or so.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 7:26 pm   #25
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Certainly cinema carbons were plated up to a fair thickness
I don't remember that being the case, but it was a long time go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
.... 3 thou' or so. (For comparison, a typical PCB track thickness is 1 thou'). It could be removed by emery paper, but only with a lot of rubbing!
1 oz Copper is 1.4 thou if I remember correctly - 35 micrometres - which I never had any great difficuty either scraping or sanding off. Anyway, if you're really keen you could always spin it up in your drill or lathe
Alan
Old 7th Jan 2011, 12:35 am   #26
Graeme Murphy
Tetrode

I wonder if my mother still has this tucked away in the loft......
Old 7th Jan 2011, 3:31 pm   #27
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Pifco sun lamp.

Hi,
I was experimenting a while back with carbon rods out of dead torch batteries and a low voltage/high current transformer. It sort of worked but didn't cause radio interference feeding the carbons was the tricky bit . I watched the reflected light on a wall so I wasn't staring at the arc. Still risky, but I got away with it.
Cheers, Pete
Old 8th Jan 2011, 3:23 am   #28
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The carbons normally used in sunlamps were often used in complementary pairs with different core materials, e.g. to encourage pip and crater formation even on AC which would otherwise erode the two carbons equally. Despite their similarities to basic low-intensity projection arc carbons, some were loaded with materials other than pure carbon. Pifco used to include in the boxes of carbons a list of compatible pairings - see attached pic. As far as I know they tended to use Morganite products, whereas the Wonder Health Ray mentioned above was supplied with Ship carbons.

Copper-coated types were for HI (high intensity) arcs - I wouldn't recommend burning them in a sunlamp, as the copper sputtering and debris from the mineral salt cores could make a mess of the lamp and give off some nasty niffs that would normally be extracted via the lamphouse flue. If you experiment with removing the copper chemically, remember the black bit is not pure carbon but contains all sorts of additives. Carbons that have been damp sometimes do not burn well!

Lucien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carbon list.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	44820  
Old 9th Jan 2011, 12:29 am   #29
Geoff 555
Heptode

Thank you Lucien I was concerned about the copper coating. I thought it may do nasty things. I will keep looking.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 9th Jan 2011, 12:48 am   #30
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I was just going to suggest that I could send you a couple of genuine sunlamp carbons, but have discovered the box is not where I thought it should be. That's usually down to my memory and I just look on the database, but the database doesn't know either. I will keep looking.

In the meantime this company claim to have LI carbons.

Lucien
Closed Thread