UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2016, 12:38 pm   #1
sykospain
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smiths Sectric alarm clock

I must be lucky with the Smiths SecTric white Bakelite mains-synchronous alarm clock that I just unearthed from the loft ( actually, from under the outside staircase to the terrado - s.e. Spain I'll have you know ).

Took the back off - 3 slot-head tiny screws; took out the clock movement complete with hands and face - another 3 slot-head original screws which I discovered later are a real PITA to refit; plugged it in and the little devil started once I'd gently turned the back of the movement where the hair spring is located on the back of the motor shaft. Didn't get a belt thank Goodness 'cos I'm aware of the Class Zero non-insulated issue.

Put it back together ( those tiny slot-head screws and my pudgy fingers ! ), re-plugged it and then gave the usual old-fashioned rotational spin to the unit that we used to do with an old watch - bingo - off she went again; red seconds hand rotating and all.

BUT

and this is the reason for registering and posting - is it wise to have it modded so it complies with current regs. ?
If so, who can do it ?
Best wishes from sweltering Andlaucia.
AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths Clock_zpsxarsmcba.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	126322  
Old 18th Jun 2016, 3:40 pm   #2
Hampus
Pentode

Default Re: Smiths Sectric alarm clock

Hi,

Nice find! i also have a smiths electric clock, they are good timekeepers as all mains clock are.

In my opinion there are not much you can or need to do with these regarding the electrics. Check that the flex and plug are in good condition, if the flex have rubber insulation it will probably be dried out and brittle. PVC wiring usually last forever.

Items of this age may have single-insulated flex, looks like speaker wire. If you want to you can replace this with more modern double-insulated flex but I personally do not bother to do that unless it is an appliance that will be handled a lot. A clock is usually plugged in and then leaved alone.

If there are any exposed metal parts the clock can be earthed but it seem to be mostly plastic.

It may benefit from a dismantling, cleaning and lubrication if you feel comfortable doing that.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 3:57 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I tend to fit a three-core mains lead on all my synchronous electric clocks - there are plenty of places with metalwork to earth it.

As for timekeeping, it is down to the power station - National Grid in UK. Should be perfect.
Old 20th Jun 2016, 5:05 pm   #4
sykospain
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mike - Thank you Hampus in Sverige.
I'm tempted as Nick the Dentist also says, to leave well alone. The little darling works fine, keeps amazing time due to the 50Hz supply from Sevillana-Endesa, and will just sit on the bookshelf in the salon undisturbed by probing fingers. Current batch of visiting grandchildren average 23 years of age !
What a great knowledgeable forum this is !
How do I switch off the alarm ? I can't find a blank part of the alarm-setting control knob on the back and it keeps going off whilst we're having our breakfast on the patio...

AL in s.e. Spain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths Clock rear_zpstxul3p83.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	126321  
Closed Thread