UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2020, 2:06 pm   #41

Default Re: Busy, wait, enter lamps for the outside of a manager's office or headmaster's stu

"Controlled area Raindiation on" sorry!

Old 3rd Apr 2020, 3:27 pm   #42
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Re: Busy, wait, enter lamps for the outside of a manager's office or headmaster's stu

The forum software seems to have inverted the picture
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 3:48 pm   #43
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Here is a version that doesn't involve hanging from the rafters.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2075.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	202168  
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 5:54 pm   #44
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ View Post
Something a bit different on the wall outside my under-stairs toilet/shower room.
I rescued the sign from work when a machine was scrapped and the room refurbished.
I comes on when the light is switched on warning other household members that it's in use. There is also a lock on the door !
That seems quite an appropriate message for the situation!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 11th Apr 2020, 1:56 pm   #45
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
As I child I can remember seeing lamp units in large department stores, comprising a row of about six different coloured bulbs. If a particular shop assistant were needed, their specific pattern of lights could be lit, for example, "red-and-blue" could mean "Mr Jones", or "yellow,white and green" "Miss Smith". Six bulbs in any combination in groups of one to six could provide quite a large number of permutations,

Woolworths in Southport had those. I remember a friend who did Saturday work there explaining what the various combinations of lights signified. The store was refurbished to remove items such as the large rectangular art deco clocks and the gas light fittings but the lights remained on the walls painted over until the store finally closed.

The headmaster at my grammar school had a set outside his office door. They were just coloured without any explanation and the red one was on for a great deal of time. They were in a very old looking polished wooden box rather like the ones used for pre-war GPO bellsets. Thinking about it I wonder whether they had been supplied by the GPO when phones were first installed in the school which was built in the early part of the 20th century
Old 11th Apr 2020, 3:01 pm   #46
boombox
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutty View Post
I took a photo of these in a Sheffield antiques shop in June 2019. I am going into town tomorrow. If they are still there (!) do you want them ?
Hi there

Just spotted your message about the headmasters indicators! Missed it at the time.
Don’t suppose they were still available?
Thank you!
Old 11th May 2020, 3:10 pm   #47
GeordieDave
Diode

I picked up two signs many years ago but sadly no controller. They're in my pile of things I like but have no idea what I'll ever do with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200511_150700.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	205512   Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200511_150723.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	205513  
Old 18th May 2020, 12:44 pm   #48
Sparks
Heptode

I remember a set like the one on the right of the second picture. Exactly the same as that outside the Headmaster's office at primary school forty years back. He didn't have his telephones on his desk but on a coffee table several feet from his desk, meaning he almost always had to get up to answer the phone. Lovely chap but mildly eccentric.
Closed Thread