UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2021, 9:38 pm   #1
Starlight 1
Triode

Default Reps JC20 Reel to Reel

I pick up this 1955 Reps JC20 Reel to Reel I only come by one post on this tape player and it was on here. I have a good look in side and its clean but did not have a mains lead or plug with it .What is the best way for me to wire it up as in uk wiring . I look as post on doing a light bulb in the wiring as its old I did not see any paper caps in the unit. Thanks LES.
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 8:39 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Reps JC20 Reel to Reel

Hello Les and welcome to the Forum.

I am not familiar with the JC20 or any of the other various Reps/Elon recorders.

Post # 6 of this linked Thread has the electrical schematic/circuit diagram.

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...AuyDAyzZ3ZWr0o

This shows a 3 pin mains connector but I do not know what type it will be (can you post a photo). It should be a plug (i.e. with male pins). The mains cable you would require would be a 3 core mains cable with a standard 3 pin UK plug at one end (to plug into the wall socket) and a 3 pin mains connector socket (female pins) to plug into the recorder connector.

From the schematic the Earth connection connects to earth/ground (bottom end of capacitor C36), the Neutral connection should connect to the top end of of C36 and the Live connection should connect to the 1 Amp mains fuse.

For UK use the mains voltage selection switch/links should be set to 240V.

David
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 8:50 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I now see that the second attachment from Post 6 of the link above refers to disconnecting the mains lead from the terminal block. So even though the schematic appears to shows a 3 pin mains connector, maybe the mains cable is actually hardwired into a terminal block.

David
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 2:49 pm   #4
Starlight 1
Triode

Here are two photos, one of back mains connector, it's a 22mm hole and it looks like it's laying over to the left. So the top left is Earth and right next to ON/OFF is live.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	230775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	230776  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 4:10 pm   #5
Starlight 1
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I now see that the second attachment from Post 6 of the link above refers to disconnecting the mains lead from the terminal block. So even though the schematic appears to shows a 3 pin mains connector, maybe the mains cable is actually hardwired into a terminal block.

David
Thank you for your post I have posted a picture. As with post 2 yes it still has 2 wires going to a block terminal. Without the plug that comes with it it's hard to say if it was 2 or 3 wires from the plug.
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 5:21 pm   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

Looks like a standard Bulgin mains connector - would expect there should be an earth.

Those Bulgins are not cheap these days, I must look and see if I have any old ones knocking about.
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 10:25 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes certainly looks like an old standard sized Bulgin 5 Amp chassis mains connector.

Would have thought that all 3 pins are wired internally.

These old connectors may not meet modern safety spec's.

David
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 8:46 am   #8
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Yes certainly looks like an old standard sized Bulgin 5 Amp chassis mains connector.

Would have thought that all 3 pins are wired internally.

These old connectors may not meet modern safety spec's.

David
They don`t, but we are sensible people surely? I sometimes wonder how many people were seriously harmed by older connectors which are now deemed to be unsafe.

I am not in any way condoning careless or stupid use of older equipment.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 9:14 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes fully agree.

David
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 12:40 pm   #10
Starlight 1
Triode

I have removed all the components from the casing. Taking the plug section apart for further investigation, I came across a melted piece of solder (see pic of where I think it came from). This black thing which came from one side of the plug to one side of the fuse which also goes to the top terminal of the voltage selector then it returns to the mains transformer. I do not understand
electronics so I think this one is dead. Les
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4983.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	230831  
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:03 pm   #11
Station X

That's a 0.1uF capacitor which looks like it's wired from mains to chassis.

The player will work without it. Any replacement should be a class Y type.

I notice another wire on the same tag as the broken end of the capacitor which appears to go to an earthing tag? If so this would indicate that a three core mains cord is appropriate.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:16 pm   #12
Starlight 1
Triode

Thank you , good news I remove the old plug and fit one more up to date and see if it works. thank you all for posts I will be back with a up date later. Les
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:25 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

It's got a standard Collaro tape deck which are easy to get going with service manuals available on this forum up at the top of this page, but make sure you fully free of and re-lubricate ALL the speed change mechanism before attempting to change speed, otherwise you'll snap the control knob off and you won't be able to get another one, as they all get snapped off and a lot of folk are looking for them without success.

Those Bulgin plug/sockets are nearly always available on ebay, but make sure you get the right size - the smaller ones are cheaper than the larger ones and tape recorders like that are generally fitted with the smaller ones, but you need to check and take measurements, as I can't tell from your picture exactly which one it is.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:26 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

This appears to be C36, although the schematic does not show it connecting to the fuse.

Cannot quite see from the photo (my eyes are not as keen as Grahams) but is there a wire connecting to the Bulgin mains connector where the broken end of C36 connects to ? this wire should connect to earth as per the schematic.

David
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:32 pm   #15
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Those Bulgin plug/sockets are nearly always available on ebay, but make sure you get the right size - the smaller ones are cheaper than the larger ones and tape recorders like that are generally fitted with the smaller ones, but you need to check and take measurements, as I can't tell from your picture exactly which one it is.
It looks like the standard (larger) size Bulgin. From Post 4 which said the hole was 22 mm I think supports that it is the larger version.

David
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:40 pm   #16
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, it seems it is the larger and very much more expensive size - unusual for a 50s tape recorder which usually use the smaller size. Hopefully someone will be able to find him one or it'll mean making a modification to the unit.

It looks like the earth connection goes to a removed eyelet that would have been under a nut and bolt connection presumably removed by the OP when dismantling - make sure it gets re-connected on assembly.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 3:50 pm   #17
Techman
Dekatron

If this is the correct size, then this one is available, but personally I'd be making a temporary connection to check the unit out first, but be careful you don't electrocute yourself!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulgin-3-...AAAOSwtmVgLZX6
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 4:00 pm   #18
Station X

Quote:
Cannot quite see from the photo (my eyes are not as keen as Grahams) but is there a wire connecting to the Bulgin mains connector where the broken end of C36 connects to? This wire should connect to earth as per the schematic.

David
I've blown up the picture which shows a wire connected to a "floating" solder tag. I assume the tag was bolted to the chassis, but was unbolted when the player was dismantled?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	earth tag.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	230848  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 4:30 pm   #19
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
It looks like the standard (larger) size Bulgin. From Post 4 which said the hole was 22 mm I think supports that it is the larger version.

David
Agreed, the keyway is for the standard size, not the miniature.

It may be sometimes worth bearing in mind that there was once an even larger size Bulgin connector, used, inter alia, on some Gaumont Kalee equipment so the normal fifties standard size is actually the middle size.....

The major safety limitation with these connectors was the ability to remove the cover without the use of a tool. The miniature version was available with a different cover arrangement which overcame this problem but it was then not quite so miniature,
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 5:05 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

From memory I think the smaller one has a 'rounded' keyway, whereas the larger one has a 'squared' keyway, although I seem to remember seeing a 'rounded' larger sized one once, so there's some variations. I've got a couple of items in general use around the house that use that middle size 22mm plug and socket with all the stuff that uses the smaller size being stashed away in the loft. I've also got an example of the giant Bulgin plug and socket too. I think the one I linked to has a 50 volt voltage limit stamped on it, so it's not a very old one, but the reason for that voltage rating is purely because they don't comply with modern regulations and not because they can't handle mains voltage. Having said that, the whole tape recorder will not comply with modern regulations, so it's just like any other vintage item that doesn't comply and can still be used. Some later Bulgins have a cord grip arrangement to improve safety, but they'll never fully comply - they "are what they are"!
Closed Thread