UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2021, 5:41 pm   #1
John_Dw
Tetrode

Default Latest acquisition, Cossor 551

I picked up, on eBay, what was then unidentified, this valve portable radio, complete with a set of dead batteries.
After some research I identified it as something quite rare, a Cossor Model 551.

It was in surprisingly good condition, inside and out. Initially the only obvious fault was a detached wire from the LT battery plug so I set about removing the old cells from the two batteries that came with it, and repopulating them with new cells, two alkaline 'D' batteries for the AD35 one but could only fit nine 'PP3s' in the B126 case, so slightly down on the original 90 volts....
With these attached, turning the set on saw all of the valve filaments start to glow though the DL96 output valve seemed very dim, but alas no sign of any immediate audio . After a minute or two some low level audio could be heard on the speaker and the set tuned to Radio 5 on MW, albeit very quiet and if the volume was turned up it distorted badly. Suspecting a problem with the DL96 I checked it with a multi meter and found that there was an open circuit between pin seven and pin 5, the heater centre tap, which meant that only half of the heater was actually working.
I managed to acquire a replacement DL96, which arrived yesterday. I had previously checked all of the wax caps for resistance with a multi meter and all looked good, but to be on the safe side I replaced 'C9' the output stage grid coupling capacitor with a new 0.01uF 630v one before replacing the valve.
With the new valve in place, turning the set on produced instant audio!
As mentioned earlier the set was in very good cosmetic condition and only needed gentle cleaning to restore it to 'as new' appearance.
All in all a very satisfying job, seen in action HERE.
The apparent rarity of these appears to be due to the set only being made for a very short time as it didn't sell well, no doubt to it's appearance, the attache case version, Model 552, which used the same chassis being much more popular, selling in greater numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cossor 551 1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	232850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210428_092615391_iOS.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	232851   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210428_092638020_iOS.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	232852   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210428_092714553_iOS.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	232853  
Old 28th Apr 2021, 6:01 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Latest acquisition, Cossor 551

Indeed not a common set it took me years to get my example.

The only thing I can see not right is it doesn't have the correct knobs.

Nice find

Cheers

Mike T
Old 28th Apr 2021, 6:15 pm   #3
John_Dw
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Indeed not a common set it took me years to get my example.

The only thing I can see not right is it doesn't have the correct knobs.

Nice find

Cheers

Mike T
Thanks Mike, out of interest what are the correct knobs? I can find very little about this set on the internet and almost no pictures of it.... I was quite surprised to find the card disk, marked MW and LW still under the wave change knob. Was there originally a similar disk under the on/off volume knob?
The Cossor brand has a particular interest to me as I grew up and lived for my first 19 years in Highbury. My uncle, who lived with us (and is still alive, now in his late 90's) worked at the Cossor factory, though I think he was involved in radar and not the radios. Also, on leaving school in 1964 I embarked on an apprenticeship for a company called Hilger & Watts, that were based in what I now suspect was part of the original Cossor factory, namely 'Aberdeen Works' in Highbury Grove (No22?). In 1970 I moved back to Highbury and lived in Aberdeen road, which ran behind the main Cossor factory site.....

Last edited by John_Dw; 28th Apr 2021 at 6:36 pm.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 6:42 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

There are pictures on my website I have just been trying to find the files for higher quality pictures but they are the same as those fitted to the 552.

Incidentally the tuning knob on both 551 and 552 seems to sometimes have the gold coloured trim and sometimes its clear I have not seen enough examples to work out whats going on.

To me it makes sense the trim is present to hide the screws

Its not common to find the discs still under the knobs but one of my 552's have discs under both knobs.

They did the 551 in an alternative colour scheme of "tweed" green and dark green.

I will load some pictures when I find them

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 18.48.44.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	232862  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 28th Apr 2021 at 6:53 pm. Reason: Add pictures
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:29 pm   #5
John_Dw
Tetrode

Quote:
There are pictures on my website I have just been trying to find the files for higher quality pictures but they are the same as those fitted to the 552.

Incidentally the tuning knob on both 551 and 552 seems to sometimes have the gold coloured trim and sometimes its clear I have not seen enough examples to work out whats going on.

To me it makes sense the trim is present to hide the screws

Its not common to find the discs still under the knobs but one of my 552's have discs under both knobs.

They did the 551 in an alternative colour scheme of "tweed" green and dark green.

I will load some pictures when I find them

Cheers

Mike T
Mike, what is the printing on the right hand cardboard disc under the on/off volume control? I have found a couple of the 'correct' knobs for the set and would like to make reproduction replacements for the two cardboard discs, as, with the correct knobs, the set will appear virtually 'as new', with no discernable age related damage at all.
John....
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:58 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

Hi John that might take a while. The 552 with the paperwork attached is in storage in Poole I am not sure when I will be going there as I am working from Exeter for the next week or so maybe longer. Unfortunate timing as I have been in the office every week since Christmas.

I will update you when I locate it. The downside of having hundreds of sets

Cheers

Mike T
Old 4th May 2021, 1:55 am   #7
John_Dw
Tetrode

Quote:
Hi John that might take a while. The 552 with the paperwork attached is in storage in Poole I am not sure when I will be going there as I am working from Exeter for the next week or so maybe longer. Unfortunate timing as I have been in the office every week since Christmas.

I will update you when I locate it. The downside of having hundreds of sets

Cheers

Mike T
Many thanks Mike, no immediate rush for the information, but would be a nice touch if I can reproduce new, flat, complete discs, but in a colour to match the dial paper, got some card already lined up for that
Regards John..
Old 9th May 2021, 5:56 pm   #8
John_Dw
Tetrode

Latest pictures of my Cossor 551, now with the 'correct' knobs fitted, and replacement card discs fitted under them...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210509_160956551_iOS.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	233673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210509_161007749_iOS.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	233674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210509_161035091_iOS.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	233675   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210509_161115451_iOS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	233676  
Old 10th May 2021, 2:43 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

If you want to see Johns lovely example of a Cossor 551 in a little more detail (RM members) the photos are now in the Radio Museum.
Mike
Old 13th May 2021, 1:10 am   #10
John_Dw
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
If you want to see Johns lovely example of a Cossor 551 in a little more detail (RM members) the photos are now in the Radio Museum.
Mike
Cheers Mike, hadn't realised that you were on here
Closed Thread