UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2019, 10:26 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default BF981 mosfet lead identification

I am trying to identify the leads of a BF981 correctly. The longest lead is the drain and easy to identify. But all of the legs seem to have notches, making it difficult to identify the source. Therefore I've taken a picture and marked out the resistance readings between adjacent leads. Can anyone please help me identify source, g1 and g2 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190201_212019.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	177537  
Old 1st Feb 2019, 11:14 pm   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: BF981 mosfet lead identification

https://www.retro.co.za/zs1ke/TenTec/BF981.pdf

Note the package diagram comment re. 'type number marking' which should help you orientate the leadouts OK.
Best wishes
Guy
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:17 am   #3
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

As far as I recall, there are two possible combinations of leadouts for the BF981 dual gate MOSFET. I've seen three possible package outlines with different lead notches. It would seem G1 is always opposite the drain. The source and G2 leadouts can be opposite positions. The source always appears to have a distinctive notch in its leadout. So, I would say the correct leadout pattern for your device is in the attached pic.
The other possible arrangement would be for G2 and S to be reversed.

Regards,
Symon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BF981.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	177538  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:50 am   #4
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks Symon and Guy. What got me confused was the package variation, which you have now confirmed. I am trying to construct something from a circuit diagram and the pinout showed there did not appear to match the datasheet diagrams. Funny that the datasheet does not seem to mention these variations. Very confusing for a first timer.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 8:04 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"Very confusing for a first timer." Know what you mean, I used to get confused by resistor and capacitor markings and still frequently get bamboozled by tranny pinouts but the more you use stuff the less intimadating it becomes.

Will the BF981 not have a body diode to help differentiale between S & D?

Andy.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 1:07 pm   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Agree with that.

On all I have seen when the ID mark is upper most and the drain has been found then S, G1 and G2 run around in a clockwise direction.

The extra tab on source lead makes it easy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BF981.png
Views:	293
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	177641  
Closed Thread