UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2004, 4:09 pm   #1
Eggy

Default Microphone wanted for reel to reel recorder

I have a Philips EL3541 reel to reel tape recorder and I'm looking for a microphone for it.

Does anyone have anything suitable that I can use, or know of a source for one.

Many thanks

Steve

Old 11th Nov 2004, 11:18 pm   #2
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Microphone wanted for reel to reel recorder

Steve,

I believe that the mike for this recorder is a standard crystal type with a three pin DIN plug - if so I have a spare mike for an EL3753 which should be OK and can be yours for the postage. If interested drop me a PM.
Old 12th Nov 2004, 9:27 am   #3
Eggy

That sounds exactly like the one I need.

I'll send a PM.

Thanks a lot

Steve

Old 12th Nov 2004, 7:07 pm   #4
McIntyre
Retired Dormant Member

I was just looking through my " Philips tape recorder servicing manual " and the spare mike for an EL3753 from " quantum " will work perfectly. The original specifications for 'inputs' on the EL3541 (which incidently is identical electronically to the EL3515 except the 3515 being two track and the 3545 being four, plus super-imposition and a seperate output socket for a seperate amp for stereo) are Standard Crystal Microphone 3.0mV into 100K; radio/p.u 150mV into 1M. The output transformer in the circuit looks like an absolute beast if replacing containing 7 different tapings, incorporating a strange kind of HT smoothing in it.
Andrew
Old 12th Nov 2004, 7:46 pm   #5
Eggy

I'm lucky in that it works perfectly already. I'm not sure if I'd be up to the job of fixing it, anyway.

Thanks guys.

Old 13th Nov 2004, 9:44 am   #6
McIntyre
Retired Dormant Member

Well if you ever want the circuit etc send me a PM and I'll scan it. Looking over it is the simplest design I've seen for a recorder (EF86, ECC83, ECL82, EM84 and EZ80).
Andrew
Old 13th Nov 2004, 1:24 pm   #7
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

I don't know whether Steve needs a circuit diagram - I never thought of it, otherwise I could have put a copy in with the mike....

It's not the most simple tape recorder circuit I've seen though - some of those Fidelity models were incredibly straightforward, just using an ECC83 and an EL84 in the amplifier stages, and I suppose this simplicity, coupled with the sturdy BSR TD2 decks they used accounts for why you see quite a few of these recorders at car boots and the like - they lasted well!
Closed Thread