UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2019, 11:13 pm   #1
stevenmair
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 494 vintage wireless

Hi thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I have my first valve radio A HMV 494, being totally inexperienced, I am looking for an instruction /operators book if there were any available. My first question is where to plug in the aerial and is there a standard size jack plug type available ?
Old 19th Jun 2019, 12:22 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 494 vintage wireless

Looking at the rear, the aerial will be the top one of the pair of sockets on the left.
The type of plug I imagine is a "Wander plug" which is little more than a split-pin

Has this set been bought as a restored working item?
If not there are some important checks you really need to carry out before applying power.

Have you found the service manual yet? Trader sheet 605 covers various various Marconiphone and HMV models including 495, 494 & 559

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 19th Jun 2019 at 12:30 am.
Old 20th Jun 2019, 2:21 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

This set is 82 years old and will need servicing before it is switched on. Already said by Graham but you would get the same message from all members here!
Old 20th Jun 2019, 3:55 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

See this thread here, https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=119671 or you can just bare the wire back, fold over a few times and bend back over the insulation then poke in the hole so it is a nice snug fit.
But as already said DONT put any power into this radio until it has been serviced by an experienced person.

Mike
Old 20th Jun 2019, 9:57 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Welcome to the Forum Steve. This is a relatively superior set of it's type. Did you buy it simply expecting it to work or is it supposed to be serviced? If so you should have been told how to switch on and tune in. This is usually simple but not if you don't know anything. Most radios would have had a user leaflet when sold but a manual wasn't required and these original instructions aren't usually around anyway. Tell us more and what you are aiming to do? The priority is to have it safe and working before adding an external aerial. If you have applied power and not had much joy don't do it again [as advised already] or make assumptions [eg "all it needs is aerial"] without further info from members who may have worked on one. Put your Model Number into "search this site" in the panel at the top and you will find a number of threads of interest even if you don't understand things at first. There is also a very helpful section [written by the site owner] available re how to find and restore a radio set, explaining the whole thing very well. I hope this helps you!

Dave W
Old 20th Jun 2019, 10:49 pm   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Aerial Connector.
Find a split pin of the correct diameter and solder the aerial wire to the loop. Shorten the pin if you like.
This will make a much more reliable connection than stuffing the wire in the hole even with the addition of a match stick.
Old 21st Jun 2019, 12:44 am   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

He said he was "totally inexperienced" Trevor

Dave W
Closed Thread