UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2019, 5:13 pm   #1
MikeCross
Tetrode

Default New Caps in old Cases

I need to mount a new capacitor in an old capacitor case so that I can use its stud mounting facility.
Has anyone any advice on how to remove the old cap materials from its case and replace with the new cap. Are there any dangerous chemicals within capacitors?
Old 1st Feb 2019, 5:28 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: New Caps in old Cases

If you put "restuffing" in the search box above you'll get a good idea of the techniques involved.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 5:54 pm   #3
snowman_al
Octode

The answer of removal depends on the original construction.
Some are in a kind of wax. These tend to 'pull free' once the can is open if you drop them in near boiling water for a couple of minutes.
Most are in a pitch like material. You can heat them up too, but I find it easier to drill the centre out and 'unwind' the foil a bit at a time.
Older ones still have a fluid inside (likely borax) and just fall out.

Make sure you insulate the inside of the can before fitting everything back together.

I honestly do not know if any are harmful chemicals, I do not think so, but I seal any remains in a plastic bag before putting it in the household waste bin.

Others will be along to advise and there are pictures some where of other peoples replacements.

Alan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3985.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	177523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8641.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	177524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4371.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	177525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4373.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	177526  
Old 1st Feb 2019, 6:11 pm   #4
Station X

A coarse threaded woodscrew or better still a cork screw is useful for withdrawing the contents.

Never attempt to solder the new capacitor leads to the rivet heads inside the can, that leads to intermittent connections. Instead drill small diameter holes adjacent to the tags, thread the capacitor leads through them, wrap the leads round the tags and solder them to the tags.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Feb 2019, 11:35 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I found one with a bung that had soaked up the soda based solution from inside.
I was able to find some replacements that fitted in two holes side by side in the bung.
The remains of the old dual capacitor were left in the can with enough drilled out for them to slip in with a spot of epoxy to stop them falling out again.
Closed Thread