UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:24 pm   #81
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph Series 7 Model Number Identification

On my front panel there are 2 small countersunk holes at around 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock around the Supply Reel Table, on the back of the holes are fixed/captive round threaded nuts. I have seen these same holes on other Series 7's on eBay, so what are their function please ?
Old 8th Feb 2020, 1:44 am   #82
Mistral13
Triode

Hi David,

They were used to secure a tape loop unit - I saw a photo of one a while back. I couldn't make out whether it was for a short loop, or a longer piece of tape like the 8 track cartridges used to use.
The advertiser was looking for around £100 for it - which was about two and a half times what I paid for my 'spares or repair' series 7!
Old 8th Feb 2020, 1:13 pm   #83
DMcMahon
Dekatron

New Pinch Roller arrived today, looks good, amazingly quick delivery.
Old 8th Feb 2020, 1:18 pm   #84
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Mistral13, that mystery (to me) is solved now. I also now have just seen that is explained & shown in the Series 7 Operators Handbook. I do not think I will be getting one
Old 8th Feb 2020, 1:22 pm   #85
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral13 View Post
They were used to secure a tape loop unit - I saw a photo of one a while back. I couldn't make out whether it was for a short loop, or a longer piece of tape like the 8 track cartridges used to use.
The advertiser was looking for around £100 for it - which was about two and a half times what I paid for my 'spares or repair' series 7!
It`s probably the same unit that was available for the earlier Ferrographs - from memory you could load about 300 feet of tape on to it but It`s a long time since I have seen one.
Old 10th Feb 2020, 6:33 pm   #86
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Did some cleaning around the heads area. Tried to remove the Deck Control Panel (as per procedure) to better clean the general area, but the left hand side of the panel is held solid (around the Function switch area) by something.

The procedure says to remove the 4 screws securing the panel to the chassis, but there are only 3 obvious screws, there is no screw/screw position in the bottom left of the panel (4 are shown in photos in the manual ?).

There is a smaller screw to the right of the Lock Release lever, the head of which is chewed up , it does turn but does not come out, am pretty sure this screw is not holding the panel.

Fitted the new Pinch Roller and cleaned heads and tape path, heads have some wear but to me do not look too bad (hopefully better than the TK 819), there is wear (not unexpected) on the tape guides.

Noticed that the felt pressure pad on the Playback head Pressure Arm (which fell off when I touched it) is a single white piece whereas on the other 2 heads is a composite pad made up of a lower black piece with the white felt pad on top.

Is it correct there is only a 1 piece pad at the PB head ? I see on the parts list that it has a different part number, so something about it must be different. The felt on this particular pad feels firmer/harder than the other 2 pads.

I think I read previously that the felt pressure pads may not be so important with non back coated tapes, is this correct ?

The 3 Pressure Arms on the incomplete unit look noticeably better cosmetic condition (but no pads fitted) compared to the complete unit, so if the complete unit turns out to be a reasonable runner, then later may swap the pressure arms over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New pinch wheel fitted.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	198767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heads.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	198768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Incomplete unit pressure arms.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	198769  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 5:02 pm   #87
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Even though not important (at all) to remove the Deck Control Panel, I do not like being beat by something that should be very simple, so I am still trying to work out what is holding the panel on so firmly at bottom left, where there should be a securing screw but no screw there. Will get there with more looking.
Old 12th Feb 2020, 11:14 am   #88
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Tried again to remove the Deck Control panel but no luck. It is being held solid in bottom left corner, where the 4th securing screw is supposed to be. Cannot see what is holding it, very difficult to see the area behind it.

Quite a bit of time this morning spent removing most of the horrible decomposing rubber off the 6 old idler wheels, a seriously difficult and messy job. Have left them soaking in a jar of cellulose thinners in the hope that will be able to clean them up fully.
Old 12th Feb 2020, 2:57 pm   #89
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

The "reverse engineering" process re these BBC variants is very interesting. Further to my comments [at posts 9* and 21*] I've realised that my Series 7 is actually here in Sussex [brought down by a friend 2 months ago]. Lifting the handle reveals Model 702 Serial No 84567. I will try to get photos of the wooden lid for Peter asap.

Dave W
Old 12th Feb 2020, 4:41 pm   #90
DMcMahon
Dekatron

2 questions aimed at Y series users or as in my case B series users, which have the isolation transformers on the line inputs.

What type of Jack Plug is being used, i.e. 2 terminal mono, 3 terminal stereo or 3 terminal gauge B balanced mono (long reach ??) on the Line inputs for recording ?

If 3 terminal jack plugs used how are they being wired to standard 2 connection Phono/RCA plugs ?
Old 12th Feb 2020, 8:11 pm   #91
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Update to my post # 92 above.

In my case I only know that my incomplete Series 7 is a series B because of its serial number label, but for my complete Series 7 I do not actually know due to there being no serial number label, however I assume it is either a series Y or a Series B due to the fact that it has the isolation transformers.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 12:07 am   #92
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The jack plugs should be PO316 pattern, that is three pole with a small tip.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 9:59 am   #93
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Ted thats great. So for PO316 I would say AKA Gauge B.

None of my stereo Hi-Fi amps have 3 wire balanced line outputs, just the the normal 2 wire Phono/RCA/Cinch line outputs.

So I will use normal single core screened cable to make some cables to connect from my Hi-Fi line out to the Ferrograph line in, Phono live to Jack Plug Tip, Phono screen to Jack Plug Ring. Then add a link at the Jack Plug Ring to Sleeve.

If no signal then would swap over the phono live and screen connections at the Jack Plug, this depends upon which connection from the line input isolating transformer is actually Live (Hot) and Live (Cold).

If any hum experienced then would try removing the Jack Plug Ring to Sleeve link.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 13th Feb 2020 at 10:13 am.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 11:11 am   #94
Ferrograph723
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Thank you Ted thats great. So for PO316 I would say AKA Gauge B.

None of my stereo Hi-Fi amps have 3 wire balanced line outputs, just the the normal 2 wire Phono/RCA/Cinch line outputs.

So I will use normal single core screened cable to make some cables to connect from my Hi-Fi line out to the Ferrograph line in, Phono live to Jack Plug Tip, Phono screen to Jack Plug Ring. Then add a link at the Jack Plug Ring to Sleeve.

If no signal then would swap over the phono live and screen connections at the Jack Plug, this depends upon which connection from the line input isolating transformer is actually Live (Hot) and Live (Cold).

If any hum experienced then would try removing the Jack Plug Ring to Sleeve link.
I don't know if it helps you or not (you appear far more knowledgeable that I am on the technical aspects, so ignore me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) - but I bought a set of Jack to RCA leads to connect my Ferro 7 to my modern Yamaha amp from Amazon and they work flawlessly :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CT1XJ..._8bsrEb3VQ1KF9
Old 13th Feb 2020, 11:35 am   #95
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you, those are standard 2 pole mono jack plugs. Is your Series 7 a Y series (with the isolating transformers) or a standard series 7 ?

The standard series 7 (non Y or B series) have the 2 pole mono jack sockets for the line inputs but the Series Y/B have the 3 pole jack sockets.

It is possible that mono or even stereo jack plugs might work OK on series Y/B (but technically the 3 pole PO361/Gauge B are the correct ones), that is why I asked the original question to determine what is actually being used successfully with Series 7 that have the 3 pole line input jack sockets.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 13th Feb 2020 at 11:42 am. Reason: Typo correction
Old 13th Feb 2020, 11:48 am   #96
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I now see Ferrograph723 from one of your earlier Posts that your model is a marked up 723 maybe starting out as a 713, so it would appear from the serial number that yours is a standard Series 7 (i.e. no Y or P prefix before the 723 on the label) without the isolating transformers, so in that case will have 2 pole mono jack sockets for the line inputs.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 1:10 pm   #97
Ferrograph723
Triode

Yes mine is a standard Series 7 (albeit with a Frankenstein model number!).

Worth a try...
Old 17th Feb 2020, 7:38 pm   #98
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Abandoned idea of removing the Deck Control Panel (for now) because it will not come off.

Refitted the power supply unit, ready now for big switch on later.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 12:29 pm   #99
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Mine has the [natural] wooden lid Peter [post 20*]. It looked out of place so I thought it might have been added later. I'm surprised to hear that it's original!
Courtesy of Dave here are pictures of his “transit” lid...

I suppose that this lid was supplied with all Model 7s.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9E7F346-420F-4D18-89E0-9D967C5170E1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	199229   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE4410C4-DC07-413B-8BC9-11A2E8BDEDD2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	199230   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CA28460-C46F-4D12-B53C-9EB370079D47.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	199231  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 9:46 pm   #100
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looks pretty solid, but maybe not so attractive, although more attractive than my metal lids.
Closed Thread