UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2014, 7:36 pm   #1
2pien1mash
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N4515 Operating Manual

Hi All
I Have been given a Philips N4515 Reel to Reel Player But Have no idea how to use it.
Would anyone Know where i could get a copy of the operating manual and some general info on this machine as in tape size/speed .
On it at the moment is an empty 7" spool but i have just got some 5" mono tapes to play with
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks All
2pien1mash
Old 4th Feb 2014, 10:15 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4515 Operating Manual

Really, it's just like a cassette recorder. There are two main differences. Firstly, the PLAY button may not go down by itself when you press RECORD, so you might need to use two fingers. Secondly, you always have to go through STOP when changing from fast wind /rewind to play or back.

If there is a switch for MUSIC / SPEECH / MANUAL then the machine has automatic level control. If not, then the recording level needs to be set manually. The recording level will be set using the volume control if there isn't a separate control for recording level, and indicated either by a meter, or by a "magic eye" valve -- keep the needle out of the red zone or the two lit zones barely meeting except on the loudest passages, as appropriate. If the level is set too high, you will get distortion; too low, and the recording will be lost in static and power hum. Make a few test recordings, watching the indicating device, until you get a feel for it.

If there is a switch for 1/4 and 3/2, then that means you have a 4-track recorder. This can fit two tracks on each side of the tape; one side carries the odd-numbered tracks, and the other side carries the even-numbered tracks. See diagram below:
Code:
.....tape.................head.
>>>>>1>>>>>1>>>>>>1>>>>> ##[]##
<<2<<<<<<2<<<<<2<<<<<2<< ######
>>>>>3>>>>>3>>>>>>3>>>>> ##[]##
<<4<<<<<<4<<<<<4<<<<<4<< ######
Old 6th Feb 2014, 2:52 pm   #3
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Philips N4515 Operating Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Really, it's just like a cassette recorder.
They're a fair bit more complicated than a cassette recorder!

They were actually designed to be the centrepiece of a complete hifi system so they have a built in preamp for a magnetic cartridge (or ceramic if you flick the switch), 3 more auxilliary inputs and a line, monitor and active speaker output. There are also bass, treble, balance and volume controls which affect this output. The active speaker output was intended for use with Philips Motional Feedback loudspeakers but could probably be used with any other active speakers.

It has 3 heads but if you want to use off tape monitoring while recording you need to use the monitor or active speaker outputs as the line output always sends the source signal out while recording.

There is a German copy of the service manual at

http://elektrotanya.com/philips_n451.../download.html

(but don't click on the big green buttons - click on the small link under the picture).

Looking back I see that I promised a copy of the user manual to someone else a few years ago but I still haven't got round to scanning it in yet.
Closed Thread