UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2020, 2:48 am   #21
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Was there something odd about Japanese primary cells?

I too had a leatherette cardboard cased radio with a an FM band that extended into the aircraft AM band, and a separate "Weather Band", that attempted to charge its own batteries. It was never clear to me if special rechargeable were available in Japan or the States, I had yet to see a Ni-Cad in the UK.
It had a light to indicate it was charging.

On a different note, I have an electricity consumption monitor that uses AA rechargeable alkaline cells in the monitor and the "sender".
It makes more sense in the "sender" because the charging current is harvest from the current transformer clamp around the meter tail.

Yes, they are a thing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Energy.../dp/B000NVUZMO
They are not very good, and tend to leak. Their existence seems to be driven by environmental concerns, I don't think they are all that different from regular alkalines.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 14th Feb 2020 at 2:56 am.
Closed Thread