UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2009, 10:02 am   #1
Jack Spark
Retired Dormant Member

Default Amp from Stella ST240U

Hi all,

I have been given a Stella ST240U by a friend and they asked if its possible to make a small valve amp from its components.
It uses the fairly common (as I understand it) arrangement of UY85 and UL84 valves as the output, but I can't find any clear schematics.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA

Jack
Old 20th Jul 2009, 12:39 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Amp from Stella ST240U

Yes, but it won't be all that good. And this is an AC/DC amp, so it could be dangerous unless it is sealed in a non-matallic box, tied the right way round to the mains and the sockets have a capacitors in them to isolate them from the mains.

For me, it wouldn't be worth it as there are plenty safe designs on the web for such things.

http://cool386.tripod.com/amps/amps.html

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 20th Jul 2009, 12:46 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Amp from Stella ST240U

Not really without considerable additional components. Also, unless great care is taken it would be potentially dangerous- there would be no isolation from the mains, the original application would have relied on the case construction and the fixed out of reach input and output connections for safety.

You COULD use the valves and bases, but at the least you'll need another valve for a preamp and a custom PSU (possibly using back to back transformers for cheapness ).

It really would be easier (as they say) to start from something else....

Chris

Too slow again!

Last edited by Herald1360; 20th Jul 2009 at 12:47 pm. Reason: Beaten to the draw by Steve!
Closed Thread