UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2019, 11:35 am   #1
riddikulusss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Advice sought: cabinet restoration with working radio and record player

Hello everyone,

I've just purchased a beautiful cabinet with a Kolster Boston radio and Elac Miracord 16 record player inside. I planned to remove them and use the cabinet as a sideboard in my home. However, to my surprise, I plugged it in and everything works fine. Now I feel I probably shouldn't remove the audio systems.

Can anyone advise if it's worth keeping them intact? I am new to this - and ignorant to their worth, but I would not like to destroy something of potential value to others.

If you think it's worth keeping them, I will continue to restore the cabinet anyway, you'll see the veneer is badly peeling on one side. Would it be worth to repair?

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer.

L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	187980   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	187981  
Old 7th Aug 2019, 1:36 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Advice sought: cabinet restoration with working radio and record player

Restoring this Radiogram [ie a Radio and Record Player] overall may be feasible if you have woodworking skills or plan to aquire them. [You can search here above re repairing cabinets]. Look on the back for a Model No. Kolster started in the USA but manufactured out of the UK as Kolster Brandes. Although you are happy that it's working, the electronics may need a service to maintain that situation. You might be able to see whether it employs valves or not. Items like this could not be given away in the UK until relatively recently [despite sometimes having style] due to space considerations and modern living but the interest in "retro" items has boomed. " Spain may well be different! Other members will be better informed than myself.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Aug 2019 at 1:57 pm.
Old 7th Aug 2019, 3:45 pm   #3
riddikulusss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Advice sought: cabinet restoration with working radio and record player

Thank you Dave! Good point about maintaining the systems. While they work now I imagine given the age of the piece they can't have many years left in in them.
Old 7th Aug 2019, 9:49 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Not only that, certain faults can have a destructive effect [perhaps avoided with a simple component replacement]. We usually advise people not to switch on without getting it checked out first by someone experienced in electronics.

Dave W
Closed Thread