UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2010, 7:20 pm   #21
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: which frequency counter ?

I wonder if we are confusing ourselves about two different types of counter, when people say "such and such is too fussy to use". There is the straightforward frequency meter, like the Racal 9915 series, and the Black Star 600. Usually with two inputs, one to 50Mhz, direct into TTL dividers, and the 120Mhz to 500Mhz upwards, which use a decade divider in front. Usually the ubiquitous Plessey/GEC SP8000 series, eg SP8630 to 500 Mhz, SP8660 to 150Mhz etc.
Then the elaborate and much more tricky to use Counter-Timers, which measure frequency, time intervals etc etc, like the Philips PM6611 to PM6615 series, the Marconi TF2416 or TF2438, Venner/Malden 7737 and lots of Systron Donner/EMI models. I use both a Racal 9915 and the Philips 6615, whichever comes to hand when measuring just frequency. I can help with circuits or manuals of all those I mention, and SP8000 data sheets. I have a copy of a neat circuit/PCB published by Siemens using a common TV divider which goes to 1.2GHz and divides by 100, so will work with almost any "old" counters. I keep planning to make it up. 4 IC's on a scrap of board.
Bill m0wpn
Old 16th May 2010, 9:17 pm   #22
Roger-M0TDM
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WME_bill View Post
I have a copy of a neat circuit/PCB published by Siemens using a common TV divider which goes to 1.2GHz and divides by 100, so will work with almost any "old" counters. I keep planning to make it up. 4 IC's on a scrap of board.
Hi Bill your statement makes interesting reading could i have a copy of this circuit/pcb please will pm you my email.
Much obliged-Roger.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:44 am   #23
WME_bill
Octode

Having mentioning a pre-scaler, I then had to search for it. Success, just when I began to think it was lost.
Two circuits. One from RSGB in 1978, using an rather low sensitivity standard ECL decade divider with a pre amplifier, which I find works works well up to 200Mhz using the 95H90. Then the Siemens circuit, which uses a prescaler intended for TV or Mobile use. The clever bit is the extra TTL which converts x64 to x100. These TV/mobile pre-scalers are much cheaper and more easily available than the decade ones. I intend to make up the Siemens circuit. Some time after the original application note by Siemens, a journal (Elecktor) published the PCB layout, so that is included. Sending by email to Roger M0TDM. Bill m0wpn
Old 17th May 2010, 4:17 pm   #24
radiojohn
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Welcome to the forums.I had no difficulty opening either file directly from my browser. Try right clicking on the file name and selecting "Save target as". Then open the saved file.
When I try opening the service manual pdf I get sent to a "you are not logged in page", but I clearly am. and if I log in as requested I get sent back there. I can open any other link or pdf that I try but not this one, I don't understand it. Have you got any ideas. Sorry to be a pain - John.
Old 17th May 2010, 5:21 pm   #25
Roger-M0TDM
Pentode

Dont have a problem here might be something to do with your security settings in internet explorer. PM me your email and i'll send it you direct...
regards-Roger.
Old 5th Jun 2010, 2:17 am   #26
cyberbeastie42
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I also have the user manual for the Black Star Jupiter 500 function generator which I can post if anyone wants it.
Please can you post the manual for the Black Star Jupiter 500 , I have been trying to get hold of a copy for ages .
Thanks
Old 5th Jun 2010, 9:07 am   #27
KeithsTV
Nonode

Jupiter 500 user manual. I don't have the service manual but the 8038 function generator IC datasheet may be useful.

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jupiter 500 User Manual.PDF (545.6 KB, 605 views)
Old 5th Jun 2010, 2:59 pm   #28
cyberbeastie42
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the Jupiter 500 manual - you're a star !
Closed Thread