UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2009, 9:49 am   #1
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Homebrew PSU question

Am I right in thinking that, if I was building an inverter with a centre-tapped primary driven by open-collector transistors (or open-drain MOSFETs), I shouldn't fit flyback diodes from each collector/drain to CT?
Old 28th Jul 2009, 10:25 am   #2
jimmc101
Heptode

Default Re: Homebrew PSU question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Am I right in thinking that, if I was building an inverter with a centre-tapped primary driven by open-collector transistors (or open-drain MOSFETs), I shouldn't fit flyback diodes from each collector/drain to CT?
Absolutely correct.
Consider what voltages are on the transformer, the end connected to the conducting device will be at approx. 0v, the centre tap is connected to the supply so the other end of the winding must be at twice the supply.
Not a good idea to try and clamp this to the supply.

Jim
Old 28th Jul 2009, 10:41 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

So, as long as I choose transistors that will withstand at least twice the supply voltage across C-E (or D-S, but I'm thinking bi-polar for the moment), then the autotransformer action of the primary will limit the voltage rise on disconnection?
Old 28th Jul 2009, 10:46 am   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

Definitely not across the transformer.

However, it is good practice to connect a (fast recovery) diode across the switching transistors (assuming NPN, connect anode to collector, cathode to emitter). These will stop the collector trying to swing negative, if there is any resonance effects with stray capacitance and transformer leakage inductance.

MOSFETs effectively have an diode structure which clamps this anyway; bipolars (NPN's and PNP's) don't. And after the collector has gone negative, the base can be filled with charge carriers which hold the transistor 'on' for a few microseconds when the collector tries to swing positive again.
Old 30th Jul 2009, 9:40 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
However, it is good practice to connect a (fast recovery) diode across the switching transistors (assuming NPN, connect anode to collector, cathode to emitter). These will stop the collector trying to swing negative, if there is any resonance effects with stray capacitance and transformer leakage inductance.
Shouldn't that be the other way round- I think what you said = dead short across the transistor.....
Old 30th Jul 2009, 10:43 pm   #6
jimmc101
Heptode

Well spotted!

Jim
Old 31st Jul 2009, 2:14 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

Oops!
Closed Thread