UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2009, 9:57 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Printing front panels for projects.

I think this topic might have cropped up before, but I hope this might be of interest.

One of the bugbears of finishing many projects is how to make a neat looking front panel. I usually end up printing something off onto card, then encapsulating it. The other option is to laboriously use rub-down lettering, which - apart from the hassle, isn't as versatile as using a PC program to create something to print off.

I've just made the electrolytic reformer that featured in Radio Bygones and later in the Bulletin, and used a label maker to stick little labels onto the case. (Much better than the old style Dymo tape).

The finished project looks neat, but not spectacular.

More importantly of course, it works!

I noticed in Tesco today, that they sell (as I'm sure many firms who supply stationary do), A4 packs of paper (seven sheets for under a fiver) which can be printed off. then ironed onto T shirts etc, when the design - a photo, or anything, become durable and colourfast.

If this paper works on cotton T Shirts, doubtless it would work on card, and perhaps be more durable than the ink of an ink jet printer onto ordinary card or paper.

I don't have any projects on at the moment which this would lend itself to, but its something I'll keep in mind. nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:05 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Printing front panels for projects.

We use some kind of silver finished self adhesive film that can be laser printed on for test gear etc at work. I can find out what it is if anyone's interested.

Also, laser printable OHP film might be quite effective, particularly if trapped between acrylic sheet and the panelproper.

Chris
Old 23rd May 2009, 3:07 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I use the OHP film myself, but the silver stuff sounds interesting!
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:04 am   #4
Colin
Heptode

I've had great results using Water Slide Decal Paper ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8XuJ0Z3bbQ (I have no connection with Crafty etc.)

It's easy to use and all you need is a fairly standard Ink Jet Printer. The graphics can be drawn up on any convenient graphics package.

This is the front panel for a little Wobbulator I built. You can see the edges of the water slide film if you look carefully. I finished it with a couple of coats of clear laquer. It also provides an excellent drilling guide too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wobbulator Panel.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	25686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wobbulator 8.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	25687  
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:13 am   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Colin. I have to say that that looks absolutely fantastic. I intended to try this method to restore the front panel on my Hi Fi amp. Seeing the result here has inspired me to go ahead with it.

Rich.
Old 23rd May 2009, 11:56 am   #6
igranic
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
We use some kind of silver finished self adhesive film that can be laser printed on for test gear etc at work. I can find out what it is if anyone's interested.
Chris,

I would certainly be interested in finding a supplier for sensible quantities of this type of material.

Edward
Old 23rd May 2009, 9:39 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I must say Colin, that looks excellent. I've sometimes marvelled at projects in magazines by a designer called R.F. Haigh which always look very well designed, built and finished. Oone such prooject I want to build when I get a "round tuit" is a Q Meter, which has a front panel rather like your wobbulator.

The waterslide paper would be the ideal thing.

The transer is much tougher than I'd imagined - I had in mind those fragile tranfers we used to apply to the backs of our hands as kids. Well at least I did. (Now, they just get tatooed!)

Is it any good for scanned radio dials - ie, where there is no printed area is the transfer transparent, which would be just what's needed, or white, and thus, opaque so not suited to that application?

Presumably, for a glass dial, it would be applied underneath the glass, so would need to be a reverse image?

Maybe it's not suited to that task.

Thanks for inspiring us!

David,
G4EBT
Old 24th May 2009, 12:47 am   #8
Colin
Heptode

David,

I'm pretty sure the clear transfer would be perfect for radio dials, in fact I believe there are a couple of threads that have dealt with this in detail already.

This is a very useful thread started by Mike Phelan ... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ght=dial+glass
Old 24th May 2009, 12:55 am   #9
Colin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
I've sometimes marvelled at projects in magazines by a designer called R.F. Haigh which always look very well designed, built and finished. Oone such prooject I want to build when I get a "round tuit" is a Q Meter, which has a front panel rather like your wobbulator.
Well spotted David. The basis of my Wobbulator was a design and article by Raymond Haigh.
Old 25th May 2009, 9:09 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

How uncanny Colin - your wobulator just had that RF Haigh look about it. His projects are all so neatly designed and finished that I have to resist the urge to drop everything and start building! I've never been one to engage in "rat's nest" construction - I find it offensive to the eye.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has built his Q Meter design, and if so, what it performs like in use? I got as far as sourcing a neat box for it, then other priorities took over!

David,
G4EBT
Closed Thread