UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2018, 9:11 pm   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Coil Winder Any Info Would Help (See Pic)

Trying to find if this coil winder is complete?? Certainly very well built home-brew.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5127.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	157599  
Old 17th Feb 2018, 9:41 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Coil Winder Any Info Would Help (See Pic)

Intriguing!

It appears to have a drive pulley on the left-hand end to enable a drive belt from a motor (which would need some form of stop/start and speed control), but the pulley also appears to have a handle, presumably to turn it manually. I can't see any wire-tensioning arrangements or a wire guide. It's not apparent whether there is any means of traversing the wire back and forth or whether the wire is guided by hand.

Clearly built by someone with imagination and model engineering skills.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 10:15 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 10:48 pm   #4
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Between the handle and the flywheel (?) there is a disc at right angles. A better pic would help, but is it a cam pushing the flywheel from side to side to effect horizontal (traverse) wire movement?
Les.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 17th Feb 2018 at 10:49 pm. Reason: added traverse
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:54 pm   #5
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
The picture is not too clear but presumably the coil has to fit onto the end of the shaft with the handwheel on it and it is not quite clear how you do this.
Presumably the aluminium? disc, on the handwheel drive axle, that drives the rubber tyred wheel at right angles, is a variable speed drive (moving the rubber driven wheel further from the drive axle will speed up the drive. The Rubber driven wheel appears as if it might work some mechanism that traverses the wire backwards and forwards across the coil.
The picture is not clear enough to see what this mechanism is but unless it includes some reduction gearing it would appear that it could move the wire backwards and forwards from about once a turn to several times a turn. If so, it would suggest it could be a wave winder.
Yours, Richard
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:58 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
Between the handle and the flywheel (?) there is a disc at right angles. A better pic would help, but is it a cam pushing the flywheel from side to side to effect horizontal (traverse) wire movement?
Les.
If so, depending on how quickly the travers is back and forth, it could be for making wave-wound coils. In true 'MFJ' style, ('Made From Junk'), I made one of those little 'Morris-Gingery' hand wave-wound coil winders which uses a cam to determine the width of the traverse. I made several cams for coils of various widths. A few pics are attached.

Pic 1 is an overhead view of the completed winder.
Pic 2 is with 40 turns wound onto a coil.
Pic 3 is with 500 turns on.
Pic 4 is an example of a cam. (Which strictly speaking, should be 'heart-shaped').
Pic 5 is a cam which gives 15mm throw.

As Les says, some more pics of the 'mystery' winder might give a few more clues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Overhead view.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	157601   Click image for larger version

Name:	First 40 turns on coil_edited-1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	157602   Click image for larger version

Name:	500 turns on coil.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	157603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Example of a drive cam page 17.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	157604   Click image for larger version

Name:	15mm throw ofset drive cam disc_edited-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	157605  

Old 18th Feb 2018, 1:13 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

More pictures,thank you all so far for the info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5128.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	157619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5129.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	157620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5130.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	157621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	157622  
Old 18th Feb 2018, 5:53 pm   #8
karesz*
Heptode

I have polished some on your first picture...
rgds, Karl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5127-B.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	157669  
Old 18th Feb 2018, 6:04 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you Karl,that looks a lot better.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 7:26 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

On Karl's cleaned up picture it's apparent that just inboard from the pulley/handle on the left-hand side, there's a small disk at right angles to a larger disc. It's my guess that together, they govern the 'gearing' of the rate at which the coil former shaft rotates. Together with the cam mechanism which shunts the wire feed back and forth, that determines how many 'waves' occur per revolution. If the smaller disc is moved closer to the centre of the larger disc, there will be more waves per rev, and if moved towards the outer edge of the larger disc, there will be fewer waves per rev. I’ve annotated your pic to highlight what I mean by the two discs.

I built one of the ‘Morris Gingery’ hand wave-winders from the Lindsay book, as can be seen working at the youtube video at this link. From the 2 minutes 20 secs point, the friction drive with the two discs at right angles to each other can be seen at the right hand side of the winder at the top of the picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIOocMoRsYQ

In that design, the coil rotates in a fixed position on the shaft, and the wire is guided back and forth. The second pic below shows the two-disc drive of my winder. The rubber drive wheel can be moved towards the centre of the 'friction disc' or towards its outer edge to adjust the rate of ‘waves per rev’. It could be that in your winder, the wire guide/tensioner (which seems not to be present) are ordinarily in a fixed position, but the coil drive shaft moves the coil firmer back and forth as turns are laid down. I say that because to the right hand end of the coil drive shaft, there’s a tensioning spring of some sort which infers that the coil shaft moves back and forth - not the wire guide.

I guess that one way to help solve the conundrum would be to turn the handle a few times and see that happens!

Good to see that your winder has a turns counter.

The Morris Gingery one used a 'tally counter' ('clicker') but I didn't find that satisfactory. Instead, I used a pocket calculator operated by a microswitch and cam, with the switch wired across the contacts of = button. If you enter '1' on a calculator, then press the '+' button twice, '1' becomes a constant.('K' on the display). Thereafter, with each press of the '=' button' the calculator will count up from 1. Neat idea eh? Well yes, except that like most calculators these days, it's auto shut-off so when the winding is completed, you need to save the turns counted in the memory before it switches off. (As I soon discovered!).

Hope that helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mystery coil winder.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	157689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive disc adjustment_edited-2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	157690  
Old 18th Feb 2018, 9:05 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes the friction disc needs a new tyre,gone a bit hard.That is brilliant David thank you.