UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 3rd Jan 2024, 8:00 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Notes on the Duratool (D00672) Desoldering Station

I have been using one of these desoldering stations for 10-12 years, with reasonable success. I have just acquired a second one, courtesy of a kind UKVRR member, so I thought I would compare them and comment on ways to make them perform better.

This device is about £95 at CPC currently (Jan 2024), so is quite a significant purchase. But I do a lot of repairs, old and new, and effective desoldering of components is a constant requirement. The Duratool is a "budget device" but I still find it more effective than very expensive devices from Metcal or Weller. It is simple, and the "suck" is more than adequate.

These devices rely on a heated tube running the length of the tip, down which the molten solder can be drawn under vacuum, into a cylindrical glass chamber section with a filter at the end.

My original device had an opaque black chamber with a tight-wound conical spring inside. It choked up quickly, and spent solder removal from the spring was very difficult. The newer devices use a glass tube with a slim wide-spaced standard spring inside. That works really well. Tip: A replacement glass tube and spring set is available from CPC (order code SD02162) for under £3. For owners of older devices, or just as a spare (see later) just buy one and enjoy desoldering again.

The main differences that I can see between the older and newer tools are inside. A switch-mode power supply instead of a transformer, a slightly different vacuum pump, softer pump mounting rubbers, and a different fan controller and a slightly more whiny fan.

With the new design, you can no longer mount the handpiece holder on the left side of the box if you need to. There are no fixing holes, and anyway the switchmode supply is in the way of fixing bolts.

Finally, there is a design fault which makes insertion of the glass chamber assembly incredibly difficult. I feel that the gap for it is about 1-2mm too short. This means that slight mis-assembly can make the seal between glass tube and o-ring leak. Take care when re-installing the solder capture chamber after cleaning that the back edge mates properly with the o-ring seal on the fixed part of the gun. Tip: Put the back edge in first, press hard rear-wards and then slide the front rubber over the heated metal spigot. It's awkward as it's a very tight fit, but worth taking time over and checking twice.

Re-insertion needs contortion to hold the filter and metal splash plate in place against the spring while also correctly manoevering the tube into place. Tip: If you buy the replacement tube kit it comes with a spare shaped o-ring that can be put inside the end of the tube to hold the spring. splash plate and filter in place while inserting the whole assembly - much easier.

I tried the new desoldering gun on a challenging task. I removed a 15-pin D-type VGA conector from a scrap pcb. All 15 pins cleared perfectly, despite a tight fit in the pcb holes. The gun cleared also the solder from the two metal stakes that give mechanical rigidity but a small extra heat was required to get them to leave the holes. They are a press-fit after all.

I run my desoldering gun at 375 degrees and that seems to be pretty much optimum, even for newer lead-free solders.

Hopefully this small set of notes can help frustrated owners to get more out of a (relatively) simple device.

-Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904[1].jpg
Views:	262
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	290502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905[1].jpg
Views:	238
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	290503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914[1].jpg
Views:	239
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	290504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915[1].jpg
Views:	222
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	290505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916[1].jpg
Views:	203
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	290506  

Old 3rd Jan 2024, 8:01 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Notes on the Duratool (D00672) Desoldering Station

Pictures of the older model for comparison.
(Final photo is upside down - sorry.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906[1].jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	290507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907[1].jpg
Views:	136
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	290508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913[1].jpg
Views:	137
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	290509  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 8:43 pm   #3
Pamphonica
Nonode

By the way, this tool was also sold as the Duratool ZD-915.
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 8:45 pm   #4
Syrinx1
Pentode

Thanks Jeremy. I have one of these and your experience mirrors mine.
I've recently purchased a new soldering station- Aixun T3A - you've inspired me to post a similar review for the T3A once I've had chance to put it to the test.
Syrinx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 9:33 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Somewhere else in this forum there is a short thread about a mod for the handpiece which takes care of that problem of not being able to insert or remove the glass tube cleanly because the end 'pieces' which grip it won't separate far enough. The mod allows the ends to separate further so that the tube can be inserted and removed as easily as it obviously should be able to be. I'm amazed the manufacturer still hasn't sorted that problem out at source. It has been years now since I first noticed that problem myself.

One other problem I've encountered with these is that the solder being drawn in through the nozzle occasionally solidifies before it manages to exit from the tube into the chamber, so if that happens you have little choice other than to try to ram the blockage out using one of the supplied cleaning rods. The tube leading from the nozzle to the chamber is obviously too cold near the exit end, and could do with being heated for a greater percentage of its length. One possible workaround for this quirk is to always try to keep the gun vertical with the nozzle pointing straight down - in that position more of the hot air from the nozzle will make its way up the tube.

Even so - any electrical pump assisted desoldering iron is orders of magnitude better than a passive hand desoldering pump. This particular unit uses very cheap, 'passive' nozzles, whereas at the other end of the scale the excellent Oki / Metcal unit I use at work uses combined tip / heating cartridges which currently cost a little less than £30 each. Definitely an argument in favour of the Duratool unit.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 9:55 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

I think this is the thread about modifying the gun:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=163807

Alan
ajgriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2024, 10:24 am   #7
Cobaltblue

A gentle reminder this is a public forum careful what you say.

One post deleted

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2024, 5:54 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

I do remember the first few batches of these with the glass tubes had the filter and plate assembled backwards, ie the filter was solder side and the plate was up against the sliding bit, so if this itself did not reduce the vacuum, the solder melting all over the felt filter soon did. Later ones were corrected. (I've got through about 10 guns and 3 base stations in about 10 years so far).

A worthwhile mod is to alter the fan supply. It's (from memory) a 12V fan supplied with about 18V so no wonder it screams a bit. I fitted a resistor to get it down to a more tolerable 8 or 9V, it doesn't affect its temperature.
Old 5th Jan 2024, 12:34 am   #9
defender
Pentode

I bought one, I don't use it much really just a luxury but, what a game changer in de-soldering.
Before that I'd tried manual pumps and braid and it usually ended up a nightmare, I hated de-soldering
I've done a few jobs with it and its awesome, a 15 pin audio ic just fell out after I de-soldered it and a recap of a video+dvd recorder psu was a breeze I actually like de-soldering now

So far I've not had a blockage but, I run it quite hot and leave it to heat up for a while.
defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2024, 12:55 am   #10
bigfathairyvika
Heptode

I've noticed that CPC do two models of the duratool Station.
D03324, 90W, black, £83.94
and D00672, 80W, white, £95.94

Only differences I could make out is the cheaper one has a red led temperature display and the other an LCD display.

The 672 does mention a 140w base unit, but the 3324 makes no mention of the base unit. There is also no spec sheet available.

Does anyone have the black one to comment on?

As I've been doing an awful lot of desoldering lately I may buy one. I've been using a selection of braid but it isn't cheap especially when soaking up vintage connections where copious amounts of solder are used.
bigfathairyvika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2024, 3:45 pm   #11
G6ONEDave
Octode

Just ordered the £83.94 + vat one. I've been having more issues of late with certain types of pcb and from the above posts, it seems that this desoldering station could well be the answer.

Dave
Old 7th Jan 2024, 11:48 pm   #12
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

As per Defenders post, you should run the tool hotter than normal soldering temperature (mine is run at 380C) plus give it time to heat up properly - you have to let the tube from the nozzle to the collector heat soak so you don't get the clogging problems.

My tool is a Denon SC5000, well over 30 years old now.
Old 8th Jan 2024, 3:21 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Jeremy for the well timed and detailed Thread. For some time I have been thinking I ought to invest in a desoldering station.

Historically always have used manual pumps with reasonable sucess but in recent years finding it more difficult to always get good results (maybe age related) and never really got on well with braid methods.

So will have a close look at the Duratool.

David
DMcMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2024, 4:42 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
Just ordered the £83.94 + vat one.

Dave
Just ordered the other model from CPC, the prices quoted in Post 10 are VAT inclusive figures.

David
DMcMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2024, 4:46 pm   #15
G6ONEDave
Octode

I never really got on with the manual unheated desolder pumps. I did use a variant to one these that was fitted to a heater element and hollow tube, that initially was very good. Never found them to last beyond 2 years though before they burnt out. I do still have one but seldom use it, as it seems to be more trouble with constant blocking up in the suction tube. So for a long time I'ver been using the Chemwick desolder braid, which is very good but requires a lot of heat into the joint, so you have to be very careful re lifting tracks or damaging the component being removed.

So today the new Duratool de-solder station arrived, it's the grey/beige one. I've tried it out on a couple of scrap pcb's. One pcb is single sided and the other is double sided. My intitial reaction was 'WOW', why have I not used one of these 40 years back! I'm running at 354 degrees C at present. Leave on until solder melts, press trigger and remove from pcb. Every hole cleared first time on single sided pcb, the components just fall out of their holes, absolutely brilliant. 95% OK first application on the sample double sided pcb, although the holes that failed did connect to a larger copper area on the component side. I think this issue is more down to user error with either time allowance or it needs a bit more heat than 354 degrees.

At the end of the day I am very pleased with this Duratool product and say thank you to Pamphonica for starting this great thread, not forgetting the other forum members for making their contributions.

Dave
Old 8th Jan 2024, 6:52 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

the lcd ones lie a bit about the temperature.
When they get to within about 10 degrees the measured temp snaps up to whatever you have set it to, and generally stays there. If you touch (but dont alter) the setpoint, it forces the measured value to show its true value for a couple of seconds, and if it's just been turned on, it shows it's overshot by quite an amount before 'snapping' back to what it thinks you want it to read.
Old 8th Jan 2024, 8:42 pm   #17
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post

A worthwhile mod is to alter the fan supply. It's (from memory) a 12V fan supplied with about 18V so no wonder it screams a bit. I fitted a resistor to get it down to a more tolerable 8 or 9V, it doesn't affect its temperature.
I fitted a 7812 regulator and thermostat to the heatsink, the fan only comes in when the heatsink gets up to 50 degrees and then runs at 12V.
I have only heard the fan come on once after an extended session of use.

Peter
Electronpusher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2024, 10:30 pm   #18
McMurdo
Dekatron

Mine have all had switchmode supplies so no heatsink. I thought the fan was for getting rid of the hot air drawn in through the gun
Old 9th Jan 2024, 11:37 am   #19
G6ONEDave
Octode

Just a quick update, the cost was less than I initially thought, it's actually £95.94 including VAT, so £79.95 before VAT. This is for the D00672, CPC order code SD001384.

One big advantage with this tool is that so far I've not had to add any solder before desoldering, unlike with braid on certain joints.

Dave
Old 9th Jan 2024, 11:48 am   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6onedave View Post
just a quick update, the cost was less than i initially thought, it's actually £95.94 including vat, so £79.95 before vat. This is for the d00672, cpc order code sd001384.
Too many zeroes, it's sd01384

[MODS: all the capitals seem to have been changed to lower case against my will!]
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote