UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 12th Mar 2019, 4:36 pm   #1
See_Mos
Hexode

Default Untouched EKCO A44 for sale.

Another that I bought from the same collector as the Sobell about 35 years ago.

Again I am reluctant to sell but need the space. It came from the same shop that was closing down and was unsold stock. There are slight signs of damp but much less than the Sobell and the cabinet is as new. I kept it wrapped up and stored in a cupboard in the house. It has been powered up occasionally and I just ran it up again, gently using the variac.

I don’t think the chassis has ever been removed. It has the guarantee card, instructions and even a small packet tied inside the back cover which contains some wander plugs.

The valve line up is ECH35, EF39, EBL31, AZ31 and even without an external aerial reception and sound quality is excellent.

I would not like it to get damaged in transit so again collection from near J39 M1 would be best.

Asking price is 50
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000805.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	179810   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000806.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	179811  

Last edited by See_Mos; 12th Mar 2019 at 4:43 pm.
See_Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2019, 5:34 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Untouched EKCO A44 for sale.

This model has an identical circuit to the (round) A22 I believe. It just goes to show what difference the shape of the cabinet makes.
Studio263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2019, 7:31 pm   #3
sexton_mallard
Pentode

Not often does a NOS radio turn up in 'Concours' condition! Amazing to see especially that chassis which looks brand new.
Old 12th Mar 2019, 9:59 pm   #4
Andrewausfa
Heptode

That's a stunner, a real pleasure to see this.

Andrew
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:49 pm   #5
See_Mos
Hexode

After warming it up for about an hour the sound started to become distorted so I switched it off. It's probably the usual coupling capacitor but I'll leave it alone for now just in case any forum member would prefer it untouched.
Old 14th Mar 2019, 11:14 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Can't be the usual capacitor- there isn't one as such. Could be a screen or HT decoupler, though.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2019, 6:55 pm   #7
See_Mos
Hexode

Thanks everyone,

I had a look at the Ekco A22 circuit and apart from the tone control it is almost the same as the Pye15A as well as the A44

A quick check of the EBL31 grid showed that the voltage, relative to chassis, was falling so I checked the HT and that was also falling. A feel of the smoothing capacitor showed that it is getting warm so I will have to fit alternative capacitors under the chassis and keep the old can in place.

As I have a 'proper' repair to do it will be a few days before I get around to it.