UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 12th Mar 2019, 3:32 pm   #1
See_Mos
Hexode

Default Sobell 516 for sale

I thought I would offer this to forum members before trying my luck on the auction site.

I am reluctant to sell but need the space so I have for sale a Sobell 516 radio. I bought this around 35 years ago from a fellow collector. It was still in the original box but unfortunately it had been somewhere damp and the bottom if the box disintegrated and had to be thrown away.

It has been on a bookshelf, cigarette and coal fire free, ever since and has only been powered a couple of times. I just powered it up gently on the variac and it is working well.

I think my friend may have repainted the feet as there is a bit of black paint near the bottom front. There are signs of damp on the chassis but nothing major. It has some minor marks to the cabinet. Other than that I believe it is completely original and even has the original instructions / guarantee card and the paper disks from behind the knobs.

Itís very heavy and I donít have a box big enough so it would have to be collected from my location, close to J39 M1.
Asking price is £50
Please PM me if you would like more / bigger photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000803.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	179800   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000804.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	179801  
See_Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2019, 11:32 pm   #2
ekjdm14
Hexode

Default Re: Sobell 516 for sale

That really is lovely, afraid I'd be crucified if I were to buy this but would love to see more photos of it all the same.

I'm shocked that there are still such almost-new sets out there.
ekjdm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2019, 10:16 am   #3
MurphyNut
Heptode

Lovely set, I have the 615 the model the year before and even bigger than 516. I'd love your set but alas space is limited, I do hope it finds a good home.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:58 pm   #4
See_Mos
Hexode

If I have to put it up for auction I will probably check if the coupling capacitor has been changed and take some more photos.

I also have the version of the 516 with the vertical scale, not the one that my parents had unfortunately!

Previously I have also had the Bakelite case version with the vertical scale and also a 615, now that is a big woody!

Last edited by See_Mos; 13th Mar 2019 at 1:25 pm.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 1:03 pm   #5
stitch1
Heptode

Hi See Mos,
I'm seriously interested but would need to combine it with a 'day out' that just happened to go near J39

Do you have a time limit by when it would need to be collected?

Thanks

John
Old 14th Mar 2019, 3:40 pm   #6
See_Mos
Hexode

Hi John,

It's been on the bookcase for 35 years so a few weeks would not matter as long as no one else beats you to it.
Old 14th Mar 2019, 6:16 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Nice set. Here's a brief anecdote to go with it. My Grandma moved in with us when I was eleven and reading up about radio the hard way [as we did then].
She gave me her 516 as it didn't work. I took the case off carefully and realised it wouldn't have a live chassis. All the valves lit up except the 5Z4G rectifier.
I only had one other [non working] chassis on which was a smaller and [wartime?] black metallised version of the 5Z4G. On substituting that, the 516 burst into life-much to my surprise and delight!

I tended to leave it's chassis out of the case as it looked [to me] more like a "proper" communications RX, especially with the half-mooon dial I was disappointed by a lack of SW action though. As the medium and long wave sections themselves were so lively, it [somehow] didn't occur to me that an external aerial might help A few nights later I shoved a length of wire into the aerial socket provided and the rest, as they say, is history!

Dave W
dave walsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2019, 9:32 pm   #8
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_Mos View Post
Hi John,

It's been on the bookcase for 35 years so a few weeks would not matter as long as no one else beats you to it.
Thanks, thereís a possibility I could come down a week on Saturday (23rd) if that would work for you? Iíll contact you by PM when I can confirm, in the mean time if someone wants to collect before me thatís ok.

John