UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2005, 8:28 pm   #1
shaft
Retired Dormant Member

Default "Gizmo"

Anyone here tried a "gizmo"? http://www.vcomp.co.uk/gizmo/gizmo/gizmo_uk.htm

The idea is that they can be used to "broadcast" cd's etc on MW to enjoy via a proper radio. I'm thinking of getting one, but would appreciate any views of quality, ease of use etc before taking the plunge. I probably ought to point out that I have zero technical knowledge, so unfortunatley, building my own is a non starter!

Many thanks,

Cliff
Old 10th Oct 2005, 8:34 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: "Gizmo"

Hi Cliff,

I've got one and it's not at all bad, especially with PS's mods, but the SStran is rather better, if more expensive.

See here: http://www.vintage-radio.com/reviews/transmitters.shtml

Nick.
Old 10th Oct 2005, 8:49 pm   #3
shaft
Retired Dormant Member

Nick,

Thanks for the speedy response, as well as the link - you've given me plenty to think about!

I suspect I may struggle with a kit (not helped by being colour blind!), but I dare say I could find someone willing to build it for a small charge.

Regards,

Cliff
Old 10th Oct 2005, 10:49 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I would certainly recommend the SSTRAN over the GIZMO (if you can find someone to help you put it together).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Oct 2005, 1:45 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft
I suspect I may struggle with a kit (not helped by being colour blind!), but I dare say I could find someone willing to build it for a small charge.
Don't let the colourblindness bother you about kit building. I am quite badly colourblind (I can't distinguish between the red and orange bands, the red and green bands occasionally, the red and brown bands, occasionally the green and brown bands, the yellow and green bands, or the blue and violet bands - that leaves me with the black and the white bands I am certian of! ) but a bit of careful preparation guessing the coulurs, then with my AVO grouping the resistors into the proper groups means I manage. I have made the SSTRAN modulatior, and it is a great thing, and an excelenly prepared kit to build.

Sam
Old 11th Oct 2005, 6:17 pm   #6
shaft
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond.

It would seem that the SSTRAN is the way to go, and following Sams comments above, I may well have a go myself. Should be interesting!

Regards,

Cliff
Old 11th Oct 2005, 7:56 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As long as you can solder OK and follow clearly written instructions you shouldn't have any problems assembling the kit. Take your time and perhaps spread it over a few evenings. Get the version with the SMT device already fitted, as that's the most fiddly bit.

The best thing to do with resistors (especially in your case but for everyone building kits) is to fit them all to the board before you solder any of them. Then if the last few don't make sense and you find you've fitted some wrong it's easy to correct them.

You'll need to prop the board on something (such as an open box) so the leads can hang down, then place a piece of cardboard on top before turning it over for soldering.

If you share your home with someone with good colour vision you could perhaps ask them to tell you the colours if you get stuck?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Oct 2005, 10:02 pm   #8
shaft
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
As long as you can solder OK
One way to find out I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
If you share your home with someone with good colour vision you could perhaps ask them to tell you the colours if you get stuck
My wife has good colour vision (so she tells me), so it looks like she could be about to take more interest in my hobbies!!

Thanks for the hints Paul. It seems obvious now you've said it, but I wouldn't have thought of assembling things without solder first.

Regards,

Cliff
Old 12th Oct 2005, 7:55 am   #9
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

why not check the resistors with a DVM and stick them in a marked up piece of cardboard or similar.
Old 12th Oct 2005, 9:08 am   #10
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.collier2
why not check the resistors with a DVM and stick them in a marked up piece of cardboard or similar.
That is my trick, but I use an AVO instead of a digital meter!

Sam
Old 12th Oct 2005, 9:01 pm   #11
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I would just like to say I agree with all the tips that have already been offered. I did not sort the resistors out first so it took me a bit longer to build. But I did not mind because the SSTRAN is just a pleasure to build and is a sheer joy to use.
Closed Thread