UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2019, 6:03 pm   #1
Puffie40
Retired Dormant Member

Default Megger Major Insulation tester

I picked up a Megger Major from a retiring small-time electrican. It is a 1000 volt, hand crank insulation tester, and is in pretty good cosmetic shape for its age.

From using it, I have observed The needle goes past zero ohms and not quite to infinity ohms, which, from what I gather from threads here, is a fairly common issue. Is there a capacitor inside this model I should consider replacing? I am reluctant to break the lead seals to get inside.

Is there a copy of the manual someone would like to share?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 5th Sep 2019, 8:43 pm   #2
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Re: Megger Major Insulation tester

Have a look at the Biddle site. The American version of the Major Megger is cat 21159. Perhaps not identical but the description and fault finding could be helpful.