UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2017, 2:14 pm   #1
promoter2000
Triode

Default PANASONIC NV F70 Bad picture: which capacitor?

Hello. My VCR Panasonic NV F70 manifests the problem highlighted by the attached photo: just turned the image into play is very dirty but after about 20 minutes back perfectly normal. I am convinced that the problem is caused by a capacitor but I do not know which one. Please someone could help me? I'm not a technical but a simple enthusiast armed soldering station. Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F70 bad picture.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	137659  
Old 14th Feb 2017, 3:10 pm   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: PANASONIC NV F70 Bad picture: which capacitor?

Have you tried switching the noise filter to edit? If it goes away or is still there then it's the video pcb. It's likely ansurface mount cap and is a right pain to get to as all the boards need to come out and some desoldering of other boards required to gain access.

I have a fs90 that does this but only if the switch is on or off, when edit is selected the picture is fine.

I had found a good site that listed the caps that caused this on each of the Panasonic machines. Will see if I can find it.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 3:32 pm   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Unfortunately it doesn't list a video pcb location for the cap like it does for the fs90

This is all I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8598.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	137663  
Old 14th Feb 2017, 3:48 pm   #4
promoter2000
Triode

Thank you for the reply. I also downloaded that list and in fact in my FS 90 I solved a similar problem (thin horizontal lines) by replacing the capacitor signed C3311 (10uF / 16V) in the small metal container welded in HQ PACK. Unfortunately I can not locate the corresponding capacitor in the HQ PACK FS70 model.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 6:07 pm   #5
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

That will be the one I need to replace on my fs90 then. Where did you source the replacement cap from? And do you have a part number by any chance?

I have a f70, but as it's working fine haven't had it apart except for servicing and cleaning.

There's one on a popular auction site for £30 plus post, I know from talking to the seller he will accept 25. May be worth your while grabbing it and swapping the boards if yours is in better condition and you know the history of yours.

Fingers crossed for you whichever way you go.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 6:44 pm   #6
John123
Heptode

I don't think it would cost that much to re-cap the entire HQ pack, just make sure you use good quality ones like Panasonic FC series. Definitely worth a go if you don't have access to an ESR meter (to check capacitors with).

Also given the age of these machines, blanket replacement of all PSU capacitors is highly recommended.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 7:46 pm   #7
promoter2000
Triode

Vauxfan2K: I do not know if I understood well the situation of your FS90 (my English is very limited ... I apologize) but I think he knows the phenomenology of all the series of S-VHS Panasonic ranging from FS100 (with which FS90 shares virtually all the electronics) to NV V8000 (i own 2 both broken for the same reason: the capacitors). These machines were built with capacitors totally inadequate for their class and cost. Their first problem: black screen in S-VHS, VHS ok reading. This problem is due to surface condensers 4 welded on the small VEFH05BT form welded half the Y / C adapter. Simply replace that small module (or only 4 small capacitors) and S-VHS is recovered. Another common flaw: poor quality of play (as in the case of the photo that I posted to F70). Just replace the capacitor C3311 (available at any electronics components shop for a few cents), and the play is recovered. Buying equipment can be risky and pointless: these flaws affect all samples without distinction (it happened to me so with a FS90 used bought in Austria).
Old 14th Feb 2017, 8:59 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauxfan2k View Post
There's one on a popular auction site for £30 plus post, I know from talking to the seller he will accept 25. May be worth your while grabbing it and swapping the boards if yours is in better condition and you know the history of yours.
[Feeling a little bit faint]. My NV-F70 (bought new) cost me over £600.

Still working well, fingers crossed. A capacitor in the PSU startup circuit went dry in the early noughties, but that's the only thing I've ever had to fix on it.
Old 15th Feb 2017, 9:36 pm   #9
Rennie93
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauxfan2k View Post
I had found a good site that listed the caps that caused this on each of the Panasonic machines. Will see if I can find it.
Would you mind sharing the website you mentioned? For the list of bad caps?
Old 15th Feb 2017, 9:51 pm   #10
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...s-r443-6r8-/69

Just scroll across to the required model.

With regards to replacing just the caps, from experience on boards that have tracks damaged/dissolved by leaking caps, it can be almost impossible to get the new caps to take to the tracks or even the board if the solder points come away with the old caps, requiring extensive bridge wires if/when possible. Ideally a whole new board soldered in would be ideal, as said from a donor machine or new old stock. Until you take the board out and inspect you have no way of knowing which way you're going to have to go.

As for the f70 in the original post, try swapping out the psu or replace the cap mentioned in the previous posts.

Cheers
Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:50 pm   #11
Rennie93
Triode

Great - thanks
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 8:53 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=134491
Closed Thread