UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2012, 5:32 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile "Oramix" synthesizer

Hi,
I've just watched an interesting item on the BBC news "Click" programme about the early synthesizer (for the want of a better word) designed in the 1950s by the late Daphne Oram of BBC Radiophonic Workshop fame. It was called the Oramix and it has just gone on display somewhere. The people in charge of it say that it's too fragile to restore. This seems a little odd to me as it was of good solid valve construction and looks enormous. I can't believe that it's unrestorable as it doesn't even have any printed circuits, and what under-chassis views I saw showed standard components of the day.
It used marks painted on clear 35mm film that was fed past some kind of optical reader.
Does anyone else have knowledge of this fascinating machine?
Cheers, Pete
Old 7th Jan 2012, 5:47 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: "Oramix" synthesizer

I believe the correct name is 'Oramics machine'. It's on display in the Science Museum (London) at present.

I suspect the restoration difficulties stem from the lack of any design documentation or even circuit diagrams.
Old 7th Jan 2012, 6:16 pm   #3
richrussell
Heptode

I was down in London a couple of months back, and happened to visit the Science Museum and have a look at the whole 'Oramics' display. Very definitely of the 'I'm the only one who's going anywhere near this' construction, with lots of exposed live parts, and bits held in place with tape and bent wire. She obviously altered bits all the time to get the effects she needed, and it's likely that it's only partially documented as it was in a constant state of change.
Old 8th Jan 2012, 11:29 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I find it strange that Daphne Oram designed a Synth. She was well known for her dislike of electronic music. Most of her music was done using tape machines-The Dr Who theme for instance. Andy.
Old 8th Jan 2012, 11:32 am   #5
paulsherwin

Are you mixing her up with Delia Derbyshire?
Closed Thread