UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2019, 2:12 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Military Monitoring Station into a Grand Design

Last night's "Grand Design" CH4 featured an ex Cold War Radio Listening Post that was demolished to create an earth [and rock] sheltered dwelling. It's in Galloway SW Scotland. Perhaps Forum Members know of it? Usual sort of story line but I found it worthwhile from both the Radio history point of view and semi-underground dwellings, in which I've always been interested.

Of course the eco point of those is often that they can be cheap self builds but if you are on one of the most perilous and windy cliff edges in the country, something more massive is probably in order. The only other similar property I can recall was built by a Welsh MP [in Pembrokeshire I think]. They used a natural cleft or Cave at the top of the cliff, giving it a glass frontage looking out to sea. He got planning permission [in a very sensitive area] because it was not at all visible when approached on the cliff top! That was the explanation anyway!

Dave W
Old 5th Sep 2019, 6:14 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Military Monitoring Station into a Grand Design

I'm sure there were some grey boxes of some kind still inside as it was demolished. Could have just been outer racking of course.
Old 5th Sep 2019, 7:18 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

In Pembrokeshire, they have “one planet development scheme “ which allows zero carbon building to be built without planning permission.
Cheers
John
Old 5th Sep 2019, 8:25 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Big shame that tower came down!

Now that offered opportunities. I lost interest at that point.

David
Old 8th Sep 2019, 3:20 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I saw that tower folding but missed the point whether it came down in a storm or was pulled down by the construction people. As usual I had one eye on the TV while doing something else. Because most of them are sectional, I would have expected it to be taken down from the top, simply unbolting and using a crane...but maybe that would have cost too much. If that was me the tower would have had to stay. I thought it looked like an old disused marine VHF broadcast station. There was what looked like an HF vertical a bit further down the coast in the distance. I wondered if it was down Portpatrick way, as that has (or had) a radio station of some kind. Anyway, the house was a bit near the cliff edge for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the waves come nearly to the top when the sea is rough.
Alan.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 4:06 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

The tower was pulled down. They attached a cable, I think to the loader they were using, and pulled.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 4:36 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

CQ Dx if the tower had been left!