UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2019, 6:57 pm   #1
sven_swe
Pentode

Default RPM370/1 Valve Tester - Selenium rectifier replacement

Hi experts!

I just got hold of a German Neuberger RPM370/1 valve tester that has a selenium rectifier as original. This is for the negative grid voltage in ranges of 5, 10, 50 and 100V with a rheostat for fine adjust.
The section for 100V(110V) has been replaced before by someone with a 1N4007 diode since that section seems to be dead. I can notice some "flickering" when in the 5 and 10V range so it seems that this one is about to give up and I would like to change it.

My question is how to get about to replace this selenium rectifier correctly. I have read that 100-200Ohm high wattage resistor is often used in series with a diode to limit current surge and to compensate for the voltage drop. I do not know what the voltage drop "was" before since a section has already been replaced with one diode but without the resistor.

Would a 1N5408 diode with a series resistor of about 100Ohm 5W be sufficient as a replacement for each section? Which side of the diode is preferred to have the resistor?

I have attached an image of the rectifier and schematics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seleniumrectifier.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	189455   Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic_rectifier.png
Views:	105
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	189456  
Old 4th Sep 2019, 8:48 am   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: RPM370/1 Valve Tester - Selenium rectifier replacement

Some moving coil meters will show needle vibration if they are connected to a half wave rectified voltage. It is effectively 50Hz pulsating DC supply.

A resistor in series with the new rectifier may help.

It looks like smoothing capacitors are used across the rheostats.
Have you replaced capacitors C4 and C5?
Old 4th Sep 2019, 10:35 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it provides bias voltages <100V, it'll be low current load so 1N4004 will be fine for all sections. Series resistors can go either end of the diode, it makes no difference in a series circuit. What their values might be you'll need to determine by experiment. If the voltage ranges are variable and checked with a meter anyway, you probably won't need to bother.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Sep 2019, 2:59 pm   #4
sven_swe
Pentode

It is a lot better now after replacing the C4 and C5 and changing for diodes. No more vibrations.
100 Ohms is way too much though, voltage drop too high. I Read that it is highly recommended to have a resistor in series to limit surge current.
Closed Thread