UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2019, 4:06 pm   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Unknown Edison Screw Lamp Holder

Hi, please see attached photos.

This lamp is of sentimental value and I need to open it to change the wiring with is broken somewhere.

The bulb holder is impossible to open, I was hoping there was a clever soul out there that could advise how to get it apart. . .

All I know is, the lamp was bought in France around 1980. The markings are very small and being black plastic in a recess - quite hard to photograph.

Thanks in advance

******************************G8ZZ6ZZCD65aTM9cA

SEAN
Old 31st Aug 2019, 4:21 pm   #2
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: Unknown Edison Screw Lamp Holder

I think I've opened similar in the past - I think it 'splits' at the join nearest the cable entry, with the whole of the front part unscrewing from the section where the cable enters.

It'll probably unscrew a fraction then stop - if so, look inside, and you'll see where a small metal tab, or two, fouls a raised section of the front moulding - just bend it / them inwards, sufficiently to clear the moulding, and it'll unscrew the rest of the way. You can bend the metal tabs back once it's open, they won't stop it closing again, and will just 'lock' it in position as before.

Alan
Old 31st Aug 2019, 4:25 pm   #3
SeanStevens
Octode

You were right

MANY MANY thanks - I thought that was a moulding mark!

You are a star

Old 31st Aug 2019, 7:24 pm   #4
Lighthouse
Diode

If you search for the company lamparts, I’m they keep these.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 7:32 pm   #5
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I had a table lamp in for repair with a damaged lamp holder like yours . I found there are plenty on eBay if you require a new one. Just remember the live gos on the centre pin. It’s surprising how many are wired up wrong even from new .....Andy
Old 1st Sep 2019, 8:45 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

Good result. I helped a friend with similar holder some years ago. Recently he had to revisit it, but in spite of us trying to release the little barb it would not budge a second time.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 10:17 am   #7
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi, here in Italy there are many Chinese Shops selling a multitude of items.
Almost like having ebay on ones doorstep.

Having seen this thread, yesterday I was in one and found these ES Holders for 1.20 euros, black or white.

Also, having had to open same previously for rewiring, I was aware of the 'invisible' locking tag(s).

Regards - Mike
Contursi Terme, south of Salerno
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 5:15 pm   #8
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
I had a table lamp in for repair with a damaged lamp holder like yours . I found there are plenty on eBay if you require a new one. Just remember the live gos on the centre pin. It’s surprising how many are wired up wrong even from new .....Andy
That's where I think your Bayonet lampholder is superior to the E/S.
As I understand, there is no contact to the mains until the lamp is installed.
The last 25 or 30 years, all the lamps and many other appliances sold in the US are equipped with polarized plugs, the neutral blade wider.
That's all depending on the receptacle is wired properly.
Greetings from another Cat lover, Dave US radcoll1
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 5:31 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post

There are bayonet holders like that, but it's by no means a general state of affairs. You can , however, touch the metal bit at the bottom of the bulb when it's in the holder and be confident that you won't get a belt!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 6:17 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
The last 25 or 30 years, all the lamps and many other appliances sold in the US are equipped with polarized plugs, the neutral blade wider.
The vast majority of the bayonet-holders I've come across have no way to automatically disconnect the power from the pins when the bulb's removed.

Equally, many table/desk/bedside-lamps sold this century, irrespective of whether they have bayonet or Edison-screw holders, come as standard fitted with a 2-pin unpolarised "Europlug"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

which is converted to the UK 13-amp BS plug by a clip-on adapter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_136...gs_(BS_1363-5)

again unpolarised.

Despite which, I've never heard of a light-bulb-socket-related death.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 7:20 pm   #11
turretslug
Dekatron

As well as improved-safety bayonet lamp-holders, ES types have also improved in recent years with the outer contact being formed by a narrow crescent at the bottom of the base well that's isolated from the metallic threaded ring. Of course, they are connected together by the action of fully screwing-in the bulb but there's generally enough of a flared plastic collar on modern types to make accidental contact much less likely.

Both types are classic examples of legacy designs that, if someone invented then tomorrow, the approval authorities would say, "Go away, and try harder" but we're stuck with these late-Victorian fitments. To be fair, they do their job pretty well and have at least been adaptable to increase in safety concern and awareness.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 11:22 pm   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

A useful feature of the French lampholders I have seen is the provision of a small grub screw that positively locks the lampholder to the (usually 10mm) thread of the fitting. It ensures that you unscrew the lamp from the lampholder rather than the lampholder from the fitting. Before adopting the 10 x 1.0 mm thread, the older French standard thread for lampholders was what is now referred to as 11mm thread (but is actually 7/16" BSF), for which brass adaptors were readily available both ways to 10mm when I last visited France some 5 years ago.
Old 4th Sep 2019, 7:13 am   #13
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Sean.

Yes, these are able to be opened for rewiring. The main collar, when screwed on initially, locks itself as it is screwed on like a ratchet.

If you look down into the lamp holder at the contact end, you will see a metal ring on which you should see a small ‘tang’ that is engaged with the inner skirt of the holder. Using a small screwdriver, simply bend this away from the skirt which will allow the skirt to unscrew (anti clockwise)

I hope this helps!

SimonT.