UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2017, 9:30 pm   #121
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Design-and-building a large valve Tesla coil (class C, Armstrong oscillator).

Hi Al, have a look at CVT's, capacitor voltage transformers
Used on power grids to read the line voltage at much lower cost than a wound one for 400Kv. Basically 2 HV caps and a transformer from the junction.
It works on AC and can be pretty accurate (used for bulk metering) if the frequency is stable.

Ed
Old 15th Nov 2017, 9:43 pm   #122
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Design-and-building a large valve Tesla coil (class C, Armstrong oscillator).

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
How did you apply the varnish so absolutely immaculately without even the slightest run? I can do this on a flat surface but I would struggle with a tube...

Were you slowly turning the lathe at the time?
You got it! I applied a thin coat of varnish to stabilise the winding, then, after 24hours to let that dry, several thick coats, letting it dry for a day each time. After each coat I switched on the lathe, turning at about 15rpm for about 4 hours per coat to stop the varnish running. It worked much better than I hoped it would.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 15th Nov 2017, 9:43 pm   #123
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Al, have a look at CVT's, capacitor voltage transformers
Hey Ed, will do, thank you. Are you thinking for me to apply this to measurements around my circuit? I'm building an EHT probe , but it's for RF signals, so it would still be useful for me to also be able to measure the pulsed DC in the power supply. Is that a suitable application for CVT's?
Old 19th Nov 2017, 11:24 am   #124
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
You got it! I applied a thin coat of varnish to stabilise the winding, then, after 24hours to let that dry, several thick coats, letting it dry for a day each time. After each coat I switched on the lathe, turning at about 15rpm for about 4 hours per coat to stop the varnish running...
Well, it is a I say, stunning work,Richard, with not a single flaw.
What’s your preferred varnish? Thanks again for your diligent and incredible work!
Old 20th Nov 2017, 7:44 am   #125
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I use whatever varnish i have lying around though the outside stuff seems to have a better finish.

Good to see your making progress Al.

Andy.
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 2:50 pm   #126
Viewmaster
Hexode

After all that work, the bottom line is, how long a spark will it generate?
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 9:07 pm   #127
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

View master, that’s the thing! We’ll never know. There is an approximate formula for valve Tesla coils, based on power in. According to that , we’d expect 70 cm plasma from the anti node, but the circuit was never realised with its new transformer. So it’s a moot point.

Somebody may care to take on the challenge: I will offer all the parts except the secondary coil for sale here before moving on to a EBay to recoup some of my spend.