UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2022, 8:17 am   #1
Chiphead
Diode

Default Iwatsu ss-5702 oscilloscope is it any good?

Good day,I'm looking at a Iwatsu ss-5702 oscilloscope in excellent working condition for $38 usd.I would like to know if anyone knows how reliable and fixable are they.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMG-20220507-WA0000.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	257014  
Old 12th May 2022, 10:03 am   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Iwatsu ss-5702 oscilloscope is it any good?

Iwatsu. Looking at the service manual, which is readily available on the web, it appears a conventional circuit with standard commodity components and CMOS and TTL and Linear integrated circuits. The tube is a common Toshiba. All on two boards.
I would have thought straigtforward if repairs ever necessary. Very good training ground for your own knowledge of circuitry. wme_bill
Old 12th May 2022, 12:41 pm   #3
MelJon66
Pentode

Hi,

I have an Iwatsu SS-5711 which is a 4 channel 100MHz 'scope. It's more sophisticated than I need and the front panel is too busy with many small buttons so it's not the easiest to use. It was available locally at a good price when I was buying one and I didn't trust couriers to deliver one in one piece. CRT 'scopes don't like rough treatment in the post so collection is always best.

Iwatsu machines use good quality Japanese components and are considered reliable. The SS-5702 looks quite straightforward and if 20MHz is enough for your needs it should be a good choice. The SS-5711 has been very reliable so all I have ever had to do is spray the rotary switches. But, most CRT 'scopes are old so you should be prepared to do some work at some point. Having a manual with schematics is essential so don't buy an old 'scope if a manual and schematics are not available.

Finally, don't buy a Topward, they can be tempting because they are cheap. They are nice and simple to use and have a good Toshiba CRT but no manuals are not available and the schematics are poor, making them hard to repair.

Cheers
Mel
Old 12th May 2022, 1:28 pm   #4
Chiphead
Diode

Thank you for the replies so far...yes 20 Mhz is fine for now.
Old 12th May 2022, 1:34 pm   #5
Chiphead
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
Good day,I'm looking at a Iwatsu ss-5702 oscilloscope in excellent working condition for $38 usd.I would like to know if anyone knows how reliable and fixable are they.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	257033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002_1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	257034  
Closed Thread