UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2022, 9:19 am   #1
robreddog
Pentode

Default Another Nombrex 27 question?

Hi, I decided I wanted to improve my testing knowledge, looked through the forum and it seemed to me a good start would be this model, found the right one (non runner) and it arrived earlier this week.

While waiting for it to arrive I bought one of those little Chinese frequency meters and leads and plugs/sockets. Opened it up and fired it up getting some output on a couple of ranges on AM and RF. Decided then to start changing those Hunts starting at the RF output, Hence I come to the first query, C22 should be .01uF according to my schematic but is actually a 0.04uF it is the original, did Nombrex stray from the schematic with something slightly different and I assume its position in the circuit is not critical?

Anyone know what the thread is in the knobs, one screw is missing I am thinking BA, but what size?

Rob.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nombrex1.pdf (233.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 20th May 2022, 9:41 am   #2
Keith956
Heptode

Default Re: Another Nombrex 27 question?

It's just an AF coupling capacitor, not critical.

For the knobs, 4BA was a common grub screw size in the day - I recently needed a grub screw for an old 'chicken head' knob, and found cutting a 4BA screw's head off to give a thread length of 1/4 inch, then cutting a slot in one end with a fine hacksaw gave a perfect replacement.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:56 am   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

I just looked at the Knobs on my Nombrex 31 and was surprised to find the grubscrew was 6BA.
Old 27th May 2022, 3:52 pm   #4
robreddog
Pentode

have to replace rf transistor and a afz12 arrived today.
my question is about the s (screen ?) connection as the old one 2n588 did not have one although there is a spare place available for it (ground).
should i connect it ?.
also is there a schematic for my model 27 that has 6 coils.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220527_145140.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	257889   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220527_145802.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	257890  
Old 27th May 2022, 7:31 pm   #5
frsimen
Heptode

Hello Rob,

I think you'll find that you have got 8 inductors, as in the circuit diagram. The missing "coils" will be lengths of stiff wire, or maybe a printed trace. They will be used on ranges 7 and 8. Careful examination of the band switch should allow you to find them.

Paula
Closed Thread