UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2006, 9:46 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Capacitor Ripple current.

Hi. Is there an easy way of working out the ripple current of a capacitor?

The ones I have only mention their value and working voltage. Some look way too small to withstand a rectifier across its terminals!
Old 5th Mar 2006, 10:11 pm   #2
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Capacitor Ripple current.

To my knowledge there is no general way of determining maximum ripple current for a given cap. It depends on the materials/chemicals used, and its internal physical construction, among other parameters. Two seemingly similar sized capacitors of same voltage and capacity rating can have very different ripple current tolerances. Check Farnell's online catalog under electrolytic caps for examples of this.

Hope this helps a bit.

Frank N.
Old 6th Mar 2006, 12:59 am   #3
paulsherwin

While it's good to be aware of the ripple current issue, I would make the following two points.

Firstly, I've never had a replacement capacitor fail in a restored radio, for excessive ripple current or any other reason. They run completely cool. That's with standard commodity electrolytics that I have to hand, a mixture of manufacturers and ratings. The position may be different with equipment that draws a much higher HT current, such as a power amplifier or transmitter.

Secondly, modern electrolytics are designed to vent pressure in a controlled manner rather than explode if they overheat, so a failed electrolytic won't be a catastrophe, especially as it's likely to be mounted under the chassis.

Best regards, Paul
Old 6th Mar 2006, 8:20 am   #4
PWH
Heptode

Thanks. Would there be a hum problem if the ripple current was underrated?

I have just replaced some 4uF caps with new tiny 4.7uF @ 400V in a DKE38 german radio and it seems to be more 'hummy' than other types of radio. Mind you its a very simple circuit.
Old 6th Mar 2006, 9:03 am   #5
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

In this case an MKP is a better replacement than an electrolytic.
Don't change values in this set, it is hum compensated!

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 6th Mar 2006, 9:04 am   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Peter, the other correspondants have covered the topic, but I would add that ripple current is generally more important in switch mode power supplies where the frequency is much higher and the ripple effect correspondingly greater. The only way you can check, without the capacitor data sheet and a means of measuring the ripple current THROUGH the capacitor, is to look at it's temperature. Most caps are rated to 85C, some to 105C; this is usually stated on the sleeve. The life of the cap follows the usuall law. reduce temp by 10C and double cap life.
In practice you should always be able to keep your fingers on the cap can, even after many hours of use.

Your new caps may have a higher ESR (which is generally related to ripple current), but this is unlikely. Check if you have connected them in the same position and that andy clamping bolts for negative connections are tight and corrosion free. Chassis return currents going in a different direction can be a vause of hum.

HTH Ed
Old 6th Mar 2006, 9:42 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwhughes
Thanks. Would there be a hum problem if the ripple current was underrated?
No, the caps just run warm and have a short life. If severely underrated they'd get very hot very quickly and vent lots of hot gunk - you'd certainly know about it!

Best regards, Paul
Old 7th Mar 2006, 10:12 pm   #8
PWH
Heptode

quote "In this case an MKP is a better replacement than an electrolytic.
Don't change values in this set, it is hum compensated!"

What is an MKP sorry for my ignorance! Will 0.7uF make a difference to this set? It does hum quite a lot and if I null it out with no signal using the variable resistor on the back, the hum is very prominent when tuned in. I may be drifting off topic but if the author of this message could PM me perhaps i can sort out my underlying problem

thanks all
Old 8th Mar 2006, 8:26 am   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

MKP: I think we have a German to English translation problem here. my guess is that MKP is some kind of plastic dielectric capacitor. I really don't know what kind. Maybe motor run or PFC compensation? This will certainly have an ample ripple current rating.

With modern dielectric materials a 4uF motor run capacitor might be no bigger than an ancient 4uF electrolytic.
Old 8th Mar 2006, 11:59 am   #10
jjl
Octode

Darius will probably correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that

MKP is metallised polypropylene
FKP is foil & polypropylene
MKT is metallised polyester

John
Old 8th Mar 2006, 5:16 pm   #11
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member