UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2016, 4:36 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Question Magic eye tuning indicator - permanently 'full on!' -generic cct?

Hi folks,

As stated up there in the thread title...I thought others might have the same experience and so useful to gain some insight into how these work, generically. The set is the same old Hacker Serenade that I'm working on but I imagine this is a fairly standard arrangement.

The magic eye tuning indicator is at peak brightness permanently. I imagine there's a leaky cap associated with the device...

If anyone can post a simple generic/ conceptual outline that I'd be very grateful. Thank you!
Old 24th Jul 2016, 4:46 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Magic eye tuning indicator - permanently 'full on!' -generic cct?

Try the datasheet for the magic eye, or a similar one.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:31 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Sure Dave but I don't and won't have access to the tuner cct and there are no distinguishing marks visible on the magic eye, hence the query...
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:39 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

EM84 according to radiomuseum.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:42 pm   #5
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Thanks, Lawrence!
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:49 pm   #6
paulsherwin

These are just voltage indicators. If it is permanently fully closed then there is a fixed voltage on the grid. Disconnecting whatever is connected to the grid pin should cause it to fully open. You can apply some volts to the grid with something like a PP3 and watch it close.

You just need to work out how the incorrect voltage is getting onto the grid.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:59 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Typical circuit shown in this thread:

http://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97283

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 6:00 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

They all work on the same basis, but have different patterns.

If the display light up, it means the phosphor is still good, but in some eyes - notably EM34s, it rarely is good, and an NOS one costs £75 plus, though whether any sell at that price is another matter.

The pattern of the eye will only change if the voltage on the grid - which is connected to the AGC line of a radio - goes negative. If the set is working correctly, the stronger the received signal, the more negative will be the AGV voltage and the display will respond accordingly. Some eyes need only a small variation in negative voltage to respond - others need several volts. (eg: DM70).

In a set in which the pattern doesn't vary with a strong station tuned in, check the negative voltage on the grid with the set both tuned into that station, then off tune. If there's little variation in AGC voltage, there will be little variation in the eye pattern. Lots of sets that seem to perform well audibly but in which the magic eye seems to be sluggish, are often sets that - though they may have an internal aerial of sorts - benefit from an external one if they have an external aerial socket, even if only a few feet of wire.

If you want to check whether an eye is working or not, just connect say an AA or PP3 battery with the negative to the grid of the eye, and the positive to ground. If the display responds, the eye itself is working. If any eye is dim, it can be due to lack of HT if resistors have gone high, but as a rule it's because the phosphor has gone to magic eye heaven.

Some links which you might find of interest:

General magic eye site:

http://magiceyetubes.com/

Two in a stereo amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsG...M&spfreload=10

6 magic eyes used in an audio spectrum analyser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvB_oMcVIY

Hope that helps a bit..
Old 24th Jul 2016, 6:28 pm   #9
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Thank you, David! Really interesting and full post. I guess in my case it's clear that the phosphor is good. It's full on without an external aerial and has no internal aerial, so I might suspect some of the passive circuitry - although I will do the simple battery test suggested by you and Paul!

Is it essentially a grounded-grid ,luminescent triode, from what I can see? The extra anode is confusing, though!

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 24th Jul 2016 at 6:41 pm.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 7:33 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Is the radio working? I ask because if the last IF amp is unstable it will produce a large negative voltage and close the magic eye.
If the radio is working correctly then it's just magic eye circuits.
Frank
Old 24th Jul 2016, 8:01 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

Is it an FM only radio? If so there's probably no AGC line, the feed to the grid of the tuning indicator will probably be taken from the -ve output side of the ratio detector via a resistor network.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 8:01 pm   #12
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Is the radio working? I ask because if the last IF amp is unstable it will produce a large negative voltage and close the magic eye.
Hi Frank, thanks, interesting lead, but I fixed up the tuner just the other day. The magic eye had been permanently on even before I'd sorted it, though, and it remains on now.

It's not a 'must have' but obviously it would be great to restore the set back to as authentic working condition as possible, especially as this seems probably technically trivial.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 8:52 pm   #13
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
Is it an FM only radio?
Hi Lawrence, yes, FM stereo tuner.

I haven't got the cct diagram but I've sussed out where the AGC business is located and I'll take a look. Possibly one or two caps are candidates for leakiness and acting somewhat like resistors instead.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:02 pm   #14
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The circuit I have for the RG16 Serenade does not have AGC, the magic eye is controlled as in Lawrence's post, from the ratio detector.
There is a 2.2M resistor connected to chassis from the grid of the EM84, that going very high,O/C could cause the fault.

I cannot find the circuit on this forum but I think I got mine from the Hacker Yahoo groups site.

Frank
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:06 pm   #15
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
T, ...the magic eye is controlled as in Lawrence's post, from the ratio detector.
There is a 2.2M resistor connected to chassis from the grid of the EM84, that going very high,O/C could cause the fault.

Thanks, Frank, I'll try to join the Yahoo group. My RG16 does have some sort of AGC as there's actually a dedicated turn-control that is externally adjustable.

However, thanks for spotting that it isn't relevant to the Magic Eye - I'll a look
at the ratio detector circuit once I've got the cct at hand.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:16 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The control is a sensitivity control for the first IF amp, it adjusts the cathode voltage on the valve, looks like a potential divider network from HT to chassis.
Definitely no AGC on my circuit just the sensitivity control.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 22.15.32.png
Views:	74
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	127786  
Old 24th Jul 2016, 11:14 pm   #17
Sideband
Dekatron

I've been working on a Barker 88 as and when time allows. This set is the opposite of yours where the eye hardly moves when tuned in to a station. It's a new eye as the original was dead. I rigged up a test circuit using a PP3 battery and a pot so I could vary the grid voltage. I can quite easily open and close the eye by varying the pot so I need to look for an AGC fault or maybe the set has low sensitivity. The AGC voltage is hardly varying when tuned in to a station.
Old 25th Jul 2016, 1:30 pm   #18
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Is it essentially a grounded-grid ,luminescent triode, from what I can see? The extra anode is confusing, though!
No, more like two triodes. The first triode is a voltage amplifier. Its anode is directly connected to the deflection electrode of the display 'triode'.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 8:34 pm   #19
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Ah, now that I see how these work, it's actually in the minimally illuminated position (1/4 illuminated bilaterally) and doesn't respond to variations in signal. I replaced the associated caps upstream with new ones, but no difference. New ones are quite expensive
Old 26th Jul 2016, 8:39 pm   #20
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Does the voltage vary across the AM suppression capacitor when tuning a station, if the voltage is small it may just require a decent aerial.
With a dipole in the attic I can get 25 volts across the capacitor on the national stations. On the aerial wire supplied with the set it can be as low 4 or 5 volts. This is a different radio than yours but similar design idea .
Frank
Closed Thread