UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2016, 2:29 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Recycling low energy Light bulbs

Just for interest really, I regularly when they fail strip them out for components,
they have high voltage capacitors, resistors, 1n4007 diodes, and inductors, very useful source of spares. Oh missed out in the thumbnail a nice 2.2uf 400v electrolytic.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04668.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	127769  
Old 24th Jul 2016, 2:51 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Recycling low energy Light bulbs

I've only had one electronic failure, it's usually one of the filaments that eventually goes O/C. The one failure got a board swap, and it is still working.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 2:53 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Leave them at least a day after last applying power before dismantling. That electrolytic can give you a nasty belt. (Guess how I know that).
Old 24th Jul 2016, 2:53 pm   #4
broadgage
Nonode

Yes but do be aware that the electrical wearing out of the discharge tube often kills many of the electronic components.

A lamp that has been dropped or otherwise broken is more likely to contain salvageable parts than one that has electrically worn out.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 7:36 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Yep, I use the components out of these too. I also save PCB's from any old scrap electronics and re use pretty much everything including the wire harness's. These old PCB's are brilliant for poly caps and also a useful source of odd value's caps, you know 5600p or 33p.

Andy.