UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2019, 2:45 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Help with 1950's Bush record player.

With my ongoing loft sort-out I came across this record player.
It's been up there for well over 20 years and to honest I'd forgotten about it.
I plugged it in and it actually works, been playing 78's and they sound really good. The amplifier seemed to working fine but I have a problem with the rubber wheel that drives the platter. (see double picture)
It wasn't left in the 'off' position (my fault) so the wheel has a indentation from it being pressing against the drive shaft for countless years.
So it's rather noisy in operation, I suspect the rubber has hardened anyway over the years.
My question is, are these wheels still available? or is there any other way to improve matters, I would be rather nice to get this player working better as it's rather a nice thing.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	192695   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	192696   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	192697  
Old 30th Oct 2019, 3:12 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Help with 1950's Bush record player.

I have a 'donor' Garrard deck from the same era - I think it still has an idler wheel - I'll check it for dents and pop it in the post if you like. Send me a PM.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 6:37 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Help with 1950's Bush record player.

Hi,
I've read somewhere on this forum that boiling can sometimes improve matters by softening the rubber. (It'll make the spuds taste funny, though. )
Otherwise, they can be gently sanded to remove the flat spot as its diameter isn't important to the speed of the turntable.
Hope this is useful
Cheers, Pete.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 7:14 pm   #4
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi,
I've read somewhere on this forum that boiling can sometimes improve matters by softening the rubber. (It'll make the spuds taste funny, though. )
Otherwise, they can be gently sanded to remove the flat spot as its diameter isn't important to the speed of the turntable.
Hope this is useful
Cheers, Pete.
Fascinating suggestion. as back in the 60s when hard up, I used to do with my guitar strings.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 7:33 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

MurphyNut, the rubber wheel you mention is more usually known as the Idler wheel. These can be skimmed on a metal machinist's or a wood turner's lathe. Only a few microns will need to be removed and it will only cost you the price of a pint! It will then be as good as when new.

I can see that the tone arm still has the original Mono only cartridge in-situ, so do not attempt to play any Stereo LP's on this. Your player has a 2 stage amplifier which is suitable for a new Stereo ceramic cartridge should you decide to upgrade it.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 10:36 pm   #6
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Only a few microns will need to be removed
I'm lucky if I can work to 0.01mm or half a thou!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 5:04 pm   #7
MurphyNut
Heptode

Thanks to the suggestions I've got it working a lot better, I put the Idler wheel into hot (almost boiling) water for a while and it did soften the rubber quite a bit.
I gently sanded out the dent and now there is a lot less physical noise.
Unfortunately there is another problem, I'll post up a new thread regarding this later.
Thanks again
Old 31st Oct 2019, 6:06 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi,
I've read somewhere on this forum that boiling can sometimes improve matters by softening the rubber. Cheers, Pete.
I remember Steve Beeching of PT fame suggesting this cure for video belts and earned himself a lot of flack! J.
Closed Thread