UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2019, 6:50 pm   #1
samjmann
Heptode

Default Sansui AU-919. PCB smell.

This beast of a 100W amp came my way recently. DC coupling from input to output. Frequency response of DC to 500KHZ!!! After a long period of not being used it was simply 'switched on' to my surprise it survived and has continued to be reliable. This is the first time I've ever seen this model, it gets rave reviews and would appear to be sought after. It was produced around 1978/79.

The standard of construction is that of a professional product, twin transformers, 4 FET's per channel output transistors. Rather messy from a wiring point of view, but all the heatsinks were massively over spec'd and everything runs cool.

After the usual mid-point checks and idle current, which were only a fraction out, and a lot of running to a pair of old speakers I connected it to the Shahinion Hawk speakers that have been loaned to me. I must say it's probably the best amp I've ever heard. Stereo image is absolutely spot on, it's quite a bit better at HF than the Technics amp you see in my avatar.

However...

The thing is, when it's on it smells... The smell is from the pcb's themselves, I think. I can't locate it to any one component, it just starts slowly as the amp warms up. The previous owner smoked, but it doesn't seem like the tar smell you used to get in old CRT sets when used in smokers home.

If it had been an eighties amp. I'd have simply washed each board, dried and tested. But on this there is so much point to point wiring to get the boards out, I think I could introduce a lot of intermittencies afterwards. The last thing I want is a set of short circuit FET's

Any thoughts about this one?

Regards, SJM.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 2:06 pm   #2
Beobloke
Heptode

Default Re: Sansui AU-919. PCB smell.

Most Japanese equipment gives off a characteristic smell and it's absolutely wonderful. Hitachi equipment usually smells the best, along with Luxman, and notable mentions for Technics and Yamaha.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 2:56 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Is there any sign of dust or deposits on the PCB? If so, a toothbrush with some IPA might help.

I seem to remember one trick was to bag the kit up and leave it for a while with some of those tablets you find in urinals! Think I would prefer the original smell though...
Old 28th Oct 2019, 4:10 pm   #4
whiskas
Octode

As Ben suggests, I would try to get any loose dust out, but be VERY careful not to push into pots etc.
It's a very nice (and valuable) amp now - if not 100% confident in working on it, don't take any chances!
Make sure power is off and main caps fully discharged before any cleaning attempts..
Old 28th Oct 2019, 5:26 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I agree. I'm sure we've all regretted the impulsive 'I'll just give that a quick clean' resulting in days taking remedial action!
Old 28th Oct 2019, 10:36 pm   #6
samjmann
Heptode

Thanks for the replies. This is a lovely sounding amp. Make no mistake I am a real HiFi sceptic, but this one is a step above the rest, by quite a way. I might do the sealed bag trick that was suggested, but perhaps not with the urinal pineapple blocks!

If the unit could be more easily worked on, I wouldn't have thought twice about giving it a bath. That said if the smell is from oils and solvents evaporating, then a wash in water may not help anyway.

Regards,SJM.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 7:34 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

You get get spray's that are supposed to neutralise odours, usually cat type smells, might be worth a try. Either that or just light a joss stick.

Andy.