UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2008, 4:02 pm   #1
rovereab
Tetrode

Default Garrard SP25 question

Does anybody know the differences between the mk1 and mk2 versions of the SP25 record deck please?

Thanks

Eamonn
Old 4th Jan 2008, 4:21 pm   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Garrard SP25 question

I think it is mainly cosmetic diferences.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 4:26 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I too believe the differences were largely cosmetic, although there was a version with turnover cartridge (Mk1?) and another with flip-over stylus (Mk11?).

I just did an internet search, albeit quickly, but found nothing of any use in respect of differences.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:04 pm   #4
Trevor
Octode

The sp25 used a detachable headshell so its not a cartridge differance you could fit any type of cartridge The main differance was in the weight of the platter etc I think
regards Trev
Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:49 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There is a picture of a Mk1 SP25 HERE , and a Mk 2 HERE . I think the deckplate on the Mk 1 has more rounded corners than the Mk 2 and there is no alloy nameplate on the control panel on the Mk 1....

Regards, Mick.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:02 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Did the MkII have the Off/Play/Lift arrangement too?
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:12 pm   #7
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Yes, I have a Mk 2 here and it does have an off/play/lift thingy. I also have a Mk 3 but they have a fixed headshell with a sliding cartridge carrier, a lighter platter and that awful auto-return mechanism that most people rip out, ( as I did in 1972 ) .

Regards, Mick.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:16 pm   #8
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Did the MkII have the Off/Play/Lift arrangement too?
Hi,

Both the SP25 MkI and the MkII had the Off/Play/Lift arrangement (I have owned both at some time or other).
As has been mentioned earlier I think that the differences between the decks were largely cosmetic ones.

The Sp25 MkI and MkII both had detachable headshells which used the same connection arrangement as SME headshells but had an angled connector, the tone arm itself being straight and not 'S' shaped as in the case of an "SME" type arm.

I have seen at least three types of SP25 headshell, one with a very shallow front which allowed "turnover" cartridges such as the BSR TC8 (or similar) to be fitted and a more common, at least to me, fuller fronted headshell which seemed to be designed to take a more "hi-fi" range of cartridge. The third type of headshell was the fuller fronted type with a cut-out which allowed turnover mechanism of a TC8 type cartridge to protrude from it.

These headshells were also used on the AT6 and some other AT series of Garrard autochangers which were based around the SP25 MkII.

Regards
Andrew
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:20 pm   #9
rovereab
Tetrode

It looks like the arm rest is part of the control panel moulding on the mk1 and a separate moulding on the mk2.

Thanks for the pics etc folks this is interesting! I was young at the time these decks were made but they have always been an interest as they looked great. My Uncle's Decca Decalian had an AT6 turntable which always impressed me. I guess the mk1 and mk2 versions of the AT6 followed the SP25.

Eamonn
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:39 pm   #10
reelguy
Heptode

If I remember correctly. You could buy the Garrard SP25 deck for about £11.00.
Not sure which model though... Or which year !.
Quite a good little deck for the money..
Peter W.........Reelguy.
Ps, I think I might have one or other of these decks somewhere..
Old 4th Jan 2008, 11:37 pm   #11
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

A Mk2 SP25 was £10.19s. 6d from Comet in early 1971, A weeks wages then! I got the Mk 3 in 1972, still have it, They always seem to run 2% fast and the ballrace centre bearing was a bit noisy.

Regards, Mick.
Closed Thread