UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2019, 2:35 pm   #1
alpharadj67
Triode

Default Advice request on setting a variable resistor in an Alba 532 record player.

Good afternoon.
I am a hobbyist and amateur and have been working on an Alba 532 record player. It was in poor shape when I got it, needing several new components, including a bridge rectifier and a smoothing capacitor. Unfortunately I physically damaged one of its variable resistors (represented on the schematic as ‘VR4 100K’. I replaced it with a new 250K preset variable resistor (‘TRIMMER, POT, 250KOHM, 10%, 1TURN’). I chose 250K because this was the upper limit stamped on the original. I have no expertise and am at a loss to know how to set this thing or what to set it to. The only advice given on the schematic is ‘Adjust VR4 for Equal Clipping’. I only have a hand held multimeter of the type bought fairly cheaply in most DIY shops. I would be extremely grateful of any advice as to what to do. Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 6:08 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Advice request on setting a variable resistor in an Alba 532 record player.

My (educated)guess would be that VR4 is used toset the bias on an early stage of the amplifier, and the output should be monitored with a 'scope, whilst injecting (say) a 1kHz sine wave at the input, so that a perfect sine wave is present at the output, so the VR should be adjusted, IMHO, util the o/p begins to clip-i.e. that the top & bottom of the sine wave start to flatten, then back off the adjustment so that the clipping is eaual on bith the top and bottom of the wave. The input signal should be at a low level. If you only have a multimeter you will not be able to carry out the above procedure, and the only suggestion I can make is to adjust VR4 for minimum distortion.
Old 29th Oct 2019, 6:24 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Advice request on setting a variable resistor in an Alba 532 record player.

I would guess that this is going to set the mid point voltage on the output pair.

There's probably another low value pot to set the quiescent current through the output pair.

If that's the case set it so that the voltage on the speaker with reference to the ground is a little less than half the supply .

So with your Meter on a suitable range the supply across the smoothing capacitor should be around 24V DC.

Now set that pot so that between the speaker and Common is around 11.5V DC

That should be close enough.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 30th Oct 2019, 5:42 pm   #4
alpharadj67
Triode

Thank you both very much for this help! As I'm very much learning at this stage, this advice is going to take me a bit of time and thought to absorb and understand - although the lack of ownership of the equipment Livewire mentions is an obvious disadvantage. Will try to put into effect Cobaltblue's suggestions and report back in a day or. Many thanks again for this help.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 8:09 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

The Service details for this player is in the Radio Museum, https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/balcombe_532.html there is a brief description on adjusting VR4 & VR3.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	192748

I think I still have one of these kicking around in bits somewhere.

Mike
Old 31st Oct 2019, 11:47 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

The setup info isn't a great help if you don't have a 'scope, but you should be fine if you adjust VR4 for 11.4V at the speaker and VR3 for a voltage across one of the 2.2ohm emitter resistors of about 15mV (0.015V). No more than 22mV max.

Circuit can be found here:

https://www.service-data.com/section.php/569/1/a10242

or in the R&TV servicing books if you don't already have it.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 31st Oct 2019, 2:10 pm   #7
alpharadj67
Triode

Many thanks for this. I have found the voltage across the smoothing capacitor to be 23.7V which I am very happy with. The query that I have is – when you say “between the speaker and common”. Do you literally mean to connect the multimeter probes to the 2 wires that feed the speaker and take the reading from that point? and should I disconnect the 2 wires from the speaker?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again
Old 31st Oct 2019, 8:28 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

In this case, yes, since Alba fitted the coupling electrolytic in the ground side of the speaker rather than, as was usually the case, between the output transistor emitters and the speaker. Under no circumstances should the speaker itself be disconnected. You should get a reading of between 11 & 12 volts (DC) at the junction of the two emitter resistors and the speaker,'live' side, and it's this voltage which is adjusted to give 11.4v as Herald 1360 points out
Old 1st Nov 2019, 1:29 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post

You should get a reading of between 11 & 12 volts (DC) at the junction of the two emitter resistors and the speaker,'live' side, and it's this voltage which is adjusted to give 11.4v as Herald 1360 points out.

Not quite.... voltage of 11.4V can be measured between either side of the loudspeaker and the negative (ground) supply. There should be no measurable voltage between the emitter resistor junction and the speaker itself since they're connected directly to each other.

The resistance of the speaker won't affect the reading since it's very low compared with the meter loading.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Nov 2019, 9:44 am   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Why the 'not quite,', Chris? 11.4v is between 11 & 12v after all, and the exact voltage measured will depend, upon other things, on how close to the ideal setting VR4 is when the reading is taken, and what impedance testmeter is used. Because the Electrolytic in this design is on the 'earthy' side of the speaker rarher than the more common 'live side, yes the same voltage will be measured at both speaker connections as the DC resistance of the speaker is too low to make any readable difference, but I still feel my original comment is correct. Admittedly I should have said 'between the junction of the two emitter resistors and common', but I hope that would be understood by the OP.
Old 1st Nov 2019, 12:00 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post

Admittedly I should have said 'between the junction of the two emitter resistors and common', but I hope that would be understood by the OP.
That was my point, not the precise voltage itself..... from the tone of the rest of the thread it seemed to me that measuring between the wrong points would cause yet more confusion.

The instructions on the schematic itself already take for granted that the person working on the set would know where to reference the voltage measurements and have already caused some confusion by assuming test equipment that was unavailable to Alpharadj67
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Nov 2019, 1:13 pm   #12
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharadj67 View Post
The query that I have is – when you say “between the speaker and common”. Do you literally mean to connect the multimeter probes to the 2 wires that feed the speaker and take the reading from that point?
I'd be far more worried about the OP doing this!

It sounds to me like the OP is thinking that the probe is connected to the two speaker wires at the same time, which of course will short out the output stage and possibly be game over for the amplifier.

This is why we have to be so careful as to how we word things when advising an unskilled person.
Closed Thread