UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2018, 7:10 pm   #1
HungryEmperor
Diode

Default BSR Monarch repair help

Hi I am trying to fix my parents old record player. Firstly the record player is a BSR Monarch Auto Changer 3 speed ( unsure of the exact model) which outputs into the back of a Philips Bi-Ampli vacuum tube radio.

I need to replace the power plug and the audio cables but I am unsure what I need to replace them with. Does anyone know the type of plug I need and the name for the audio connectors. I presumed they were RCA but normal RCA cables don't fit in the back of the radio.

I am new to this so please any help would be amazing just want to surprise my parents Please find the photos attached of the equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_183852.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	168805   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_183901.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	168806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_184228.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	168807  
Old 5th Sep 2018, 7:40 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Monarch repair help

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The record deck is a BSR UA6, and the power plug will be dependant on what socket you are plugging it into. Usually, it's a 3 pin 13amp plug, fitted with a 2amp fuse. The audio connector on the end of the lead is a "wander plug". You need another one, but they are a bit scarce these days. Look on the auction sites, or put an ad in the "wanted" section of this forum. I see the on/off control is missing, so ask for one of those at the same time.

Last edited by Audio1950; 5th Sep 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 7:49 pm   #3
HungryEmperor
Diode

Thank you so so much Audio1950!! This is amazing help been wrecking my head trying to figure out what types of connector these are! Will do!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180905_194408.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	168808  

Last edited by HungryEmperor; 5th Sep 2018 at 8:00 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 9:48 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We are not sure how long it has been since that UA6 has been run up. You may be able to actuate the Off/Start/Reject control (concentric with the speed change control) with a small pair of pliers to see if it still runs. Also the cartridge in the pick up arm is only suitable for old Mono LPs/45s and 78s - not Stereo records.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 10:50 pm   #5
buggies
Heptode

You only mentioned the record player. Is the radio still in daily use?
Old 5th Sep 2018, 11:58 pm   #6
Techman
Dekatron

I don't think we should pretend here that both these items are going to need some considerable work to get them up and running. The work needed wouldn't be a problem for an experienced radio engineer, but in your case as you're not, you're going to have to be prepared to learn some skills before applying any mains.

It's obvious from the pictures that both items have been out of use for many years. The broken off control knob on the record deck immediately tells me that the mechanism is seized solid and the control has been forced at some time in the past, so dismantling, cleaning and re-lubricating will be needed here. The old mono crystal cartridge is likely to have a dead crystal due to absorption of moisture from the atmosphere over the years and as said, will ruin stereo records anyway, so will need complete replacement.

You may get away with powering the radio up and it will probably work for a very short while before going bang with a small cloud of smoke, so a careful look at a couple of critical components would be necessary to prevent this scenario.

So it looks like you've got your work cut out - start the learning curve now! Good luck with it, I'm sure it's fixable
Old 6th Sep 2018, 10:30 am   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryEmperor View Post
Thank you so so much Audio1950!! This is amazing help been wrecking my head trying to figure out what types of connector these are! Will do!!
Yep, that photo confirms it, you need another "wander plug".
Old 6th Sep 2018, 12:07 pm   #8
Chiltern
Heptode

You certainly will have some work to do. The deck is from the early '50's and as you have probably already been told the cartridge will most likely need replacing (looks like an Acos HPG37).

pictured a knob (printing faded/worn) and a wander plug, yours if you want them

good luck

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASIDSCN8463.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	168834  
Closed Thread