UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2017, 6:07 pm   #21
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Toaster FB10 elusive fault

I may still have a spare ferrite rod aerial for one of these, but I dont think it will be better than the frame aerial, frame aerials are quite efficient. You could test the windings for continuety on the frame to see if there is a problem.

Mike
Old 17th Dec 2017, 4:33 pm   #22
Pete_kaye
Octode

The coils are not shorting together as far as I can tell .I will re-examine tonight .It seemed to me that the sudden change in volume , odd whistles and weak interference from MW stations on LW pointed towards an aerial fault , but I am grasping at straws here. I measured 0.1 ohms and 1 ohm with cheap DMM for the L1 and L2.
The original 6BA6 (45% on test )valve was substituted with a new one and no change noticed .
Old 18th Dec 2017, 12:02 am   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Next time the fault occurs carefully check the tuning (assuming that altering the tuning doesn't clear the fault....). See if the tuning has changed....i.e is it 'broader' (the tuned station taking up more room on the scale). If so, it could be something subtle like a capacitor going O/C in one of the IF coils. This could certainly cause crackling and a reduction in volume since the IF transformer won't be tuned to the correct IF frequency when the cap is O/C.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 12:19 am   #24
Tractionist
Heptode

Sideband's got a point. As previously mentioned ..... if you are concerned about using freezer spray ..... think about some hot air?
Old 18th Dec 2017, 3:55 am   #25
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

As a method for repair, I have never found modifying a set to be the best answer, only a last resort solution.
Changing to a ferrite rod seems to be a lot of work with little guarantee that it will solve the problem, a defect in a frame aerial should be obvious and repairable.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 12:17 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Agreed... and it's very unlikely that there will be a fault with the frame aerial anyway... certainly nothing to cause burn marks (there is nowhere near enough current anywhere to do that) although of course it could have been damaged by careless handling or a soldering iron at some time.

All I can say is that my FB10 works very acceptably on it's frame aerial.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 1:09 pm   #27
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye View Post
It seemed to me that the sudden change in volume , odd whistles and weak interference from MW stations on LW pointed towards an aerial fault
This sounds more like an IF transformer detuning or an oscillator fault than aerial.
Its not loose cores in an IF trany is it?
Old 18th Dec 2017, 10:33 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
This sounds more like an IF transformer detuning
...as I alluded to a few posts back. The problem (if it is an internal tuning cap failing) is deciding which one. Usually if the internal cap fails, the tuning slug has little or no effect or it has to be screwed fully in or out.

As far as I am aware they are just standard ferrite tuning cores so not likely to be a detached core.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 2:27 pm   #29
Pete_kaye
Octode

The burning on aerial was caused by the very close rectifier and output valves. For now , it is going back in its box. Thanks for all the advice.
Closed Thread