UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2006, 12:21 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Cutting Sponge

Hello,

I often have to cut new bits of sponge to replace pieces in radio battery compartments which have disintegrated and I find that cutting sponge with scissors always seems to leave an untidy or crooked edge. Car upholstery restorers use a hot wire tool to cut through replacement sponges for seats etc so I've now tried heating up a piece of fusewire over a gas hob and then immediately plunging it through a piece of sponge and it leaves a perfect straight edge One has to be very quick though cos the wire cools down very quickly I guess there may be a better way of heating up the wire so that one can take one's time .......... any suggestions ?

Howard
Old 24th Sep 2006, 12:29 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Cutting Sponge

A thin piece of wire will always lose heat quickly, so it needs to be constantly heated.

You could use a piece of wire taken from an electric fire element. Use 1/20th of the total length and a 12V car battery or pro rata.

You'll need a suitable frame such as that from a plastic tilecutting saw. Pieces of metal will be needed at each end of the wire to stop it melting the frame.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Sep 2006, 12:29 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The classic way of doing this is by passing a controlled current through the wire to keep it hot.

Some of the "schools" suppliers [Maplin? Rapid?] used to sell a hacksaw-like frame with special wire for this very purpose.

Googling is informative, e.g. this one using a soldering gun to provide the current: http://club.cycom.co.uk/hotwire/Hot_...rene_foam.html

Nick.

P.S. I see Graham beat me to it!
Old 24th Sep 2006, 6:58 pm   #4
Chris_C
Hexode

Please be aware that hot cutting some plastics inc. some foams can give off unpleasant gasses.

So do it near an open window or door
Old 24th Sep 2006, 9:38 pm   #5
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Guys, "THE" tool for cutting foam rubber is an electric carving knife I've used one for years for this purpose and it's truly excellent, if you can't persuede SWMBO to part with hers, scour the boot sales there is always plenty about

Mike
Old 24th Sep 2006, 10:05 pm   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

I made my own tool from a block of aluminium for cutting the round battery pads for fitment to the inside of the back covers on Hackers, I place the foam on a block of wood, then just press on the tool by hand, picture of it here, but it's obviously no use for cutting square bits!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerBatteryPadTool 002.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	5653   Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerBatteryPadTool 004.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5654  
Old 24th Sep 2006, 10:11 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've used an ordinary carving knife or bread knife to cut thick sponge. Don't know if it would work so well on thin or very low low density sponge. Maybe not as easy as an electric carving knife but I don't have one so I can't really say.

Many years ago I used wire from an old heater element to cut large sheets of expanded polystyrene. Wire was about 5' long with a handle on each end. Obviously a 2 person job. We used some kind of variable power supply to heat up the wire. Worked very well though the smell was horrible.
Old 25th Sep 2006, 8:37 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

There used to be a device with a hot wire that was mounted on a large 15.v cell - the ones used as a gas lighter (remember them?)
It did look a bit like a hacksaw frame.
Old 25th Sep 2006, 11:24 am   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

I'm sure I've seen something in B&Q that was designed for cutting polystyrene foam. It was in the shape of a soldering gun with a wire between the two poles and a large battery.

Maybe these no longer comply to the current safety laws!

Rich.
Old 25th Sep 2006, 11:50 am   #10
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I've used an ordinary carving knife or bread knife to cut thick sponge. Don't know if it would work so well on thin or very low low density sponge. Maybe not as easy as an electric carving knife but I don't have one so I can't really say.

Many years ago I used wire from an old heater element to cut large sheets of expanded polystyrene. Wire was about 5' long with a handle on each end. Obviously a 2 person job. We used some kind of variable power supply to heat up the wire. Worked very well though the smell was horrible.
I have just tried the electric carving knife method and it works OK, although I think a normal sharp carving knife which I have used in the past probably works just as well.
Paul
Old 25th Sep 2006, 4:41 pm   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
There used to be a device with a hot wire that was mounted on a large 15.v cell
That, of course, should have been 1.5 volt
Old 25th Sep 2006, 4:56 pm   #12
PJL
Dekatron

The cuttter was used in aero-modeling, I had one when I was a youth many years ago. I hope this link is permitted http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polystyrene-Fo...QQcmdZViewItem. May not be hot enough for foam.
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:43 pm   #13
Andy Day
Pentode

I've watched professional upholsterers cut foam, and they use a gadget like an electric meat carver. No fumes, and a clean edge. then they sand the profile with a rotary disk akin to the thing you would use to prepare a bit of rusty metal for priming. But maybe a bit finer?