UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2010, 8:23 pm   #1
StephenMG
Retired Dormant Member

Default 332 Drawer Blank, repair/replacement?

Hi all,

I'm restoring a 332 which, during a GPO refurbishment, had it's 'cheese' drawer replaced with a blanking plate. This plate has a small piece chipped off one corner. I've found the missing piece floating around inside the phone and wondered what the best glue to use to reattach it is? Cyano (Super Glue) or Araldite?

Alternatively can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement or a reproduction drawer blank please? All I've found so far are repro fronts for the actual drawer complete with knob which are no good in this case.

Many thanks,
Mark
Old 25th Jul 2010, 9:37 pm   #2
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 332 Drawer Blank, repair/replacement?

Hi Mark,

As the broken piece won't be under any form of stress I would think Superglue will be suitable and it will be easier to get a cleaner join than with Araldite.

Regards, Lee.
Old 27th Jul 2010, 11:05 am   #3
StephenMG
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Lee,

Yes, I think you're right, Super Glue would be 'cleaner' as the break is nice and clean with no chips missing.

I've never glued Bakelite before - will Super Glue stick it OK?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 28th Jul 2010, 9:20 pm   #4
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, I missed your reply.

I glued the "horns" of the cradle rest on a 232, which are quite large pieces, with superglue about three years ago and they are still going strong so you shouldn't have any problems with a small piece.

I have used Araldite but I found it difficult to get a clean join that didn't stand out as a repair probably due to it being a thicker adhesive. Araldite will give a stronger bond but. as I say. the blanking plate piece won't be under any stress so superglue should be fine.

Best Wishes, Lee.
Old 29th Jul 2010, 5:33 pm   #5
StephenMG
Retired Dormant Member

Great. Thanks for the advice.

I plan to get this phone finished on the weekend so will go with the super glue.

Cheers,
Mark
Closed Thread