UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2010, 8:12 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Valved undersea telephone repeaters

Today I was struck by a sudden curiosity about those telephone repeaters that used to lie on the seabed and were kept warm by the valves within. The valves were wired in & I often wondered how they worked, how they were powered (it's an awful long way to send 6.3volts ), how they were made and tested, etc., etc., etc. Is there a website about them? Thanks in advance.
Sorry if this isn't the place but I don't know where else to post it.
Cheers de Pete
Old 17th Jul 2010, 8:31 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Valved undersea telephone repeaters

Further reading here:
http://www.atlantic-cable.com/
Old 18th Jul 2010, 8:56 am   #3
audiomagpie
Heptode

This place is well worth a visit if you're ever down in Cornwall:

http://www.porthcurno-telegraph-museum.org.uk/

I went a few years ago, they have some old valve reapeaters on display, with sections cut away, to reveal the innards and insulation/construction methods etc.

They also have working spark transmitter and a fantastic collection of telegraphy equipment.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 19th Jul 2010, 11:32 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi. Thanks for the info. I visited Porthcurno museum a few years ago but I think the section of it was closed to the public for refurbishment that housed the repeaters. Thanks again.
Cheers de Pete
Old 19th Jul 2010, 12:23 pm   #5
daviddeakin
Hexode

Here is a paper written about the special construction methods used for repeater valves and capacitors:

http://www.dalmura.com.au/projects/S...ne%20cable.pdf
Old 19th Jul 2010, 1:21 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Fascinating that new-fangled plastic film capacitors were ruled out in favour of paper (even though the paper did have known shortcomings).

And so were ferrites. But then, today we have the benefit of hindsight!

Truly, people who designed and built these, should feel proud of themselves.
Old 21st Jul 2010, 9:01 pm   #7

Repeaters, even now, are powered in series using constant current, a few kV is sometimes needed for long runs. With a power supply at either end (and I assume 2 diodes) redundancy is built in.

Old 21st Jul 2010, 11:17 pm   #8
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Tat 1 was power fed with about 4.5KV- and power from the States . It was a two cable system with series power feed , and a tap taken to the heaters .
Cantat one was a single cable with a series power feed ,but with directional filters -both ends were fed from Oban and the states ,on an approx 3.8kv feed .
The Middlesbrough Gotenburg system was a prototype for Cantat 1 .
Fortunately , I'm one of the few left that will admit to being part of the Transatlantic cable thingy .

Ask ,and if memory permits ,I'll give you an answer .

Last edited by DAVEHALL; 21st Jul 2010 at 11:23 pm.
Old 21st Jul 2010, 11:42 pm   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Good to know that there are still folks around who worked on TAT1.

I've got a copy of the IEE papers about TAT1. They were the proceedings of a joint IEE/IRE conference held in London and New York via TAT1 to celebrate it's inauguration. Fascinating stuff. Dave, were you involved with the conference?

Interesting thought: It took almost 100 years from the first transatlantic telegraph cable to the first transatlantic telephony cable.
Old 26th Jul 2010, 12:09 am   #10
Richard G4DYA
Diode

The whole of the January 1957 edition of The Post Office Electrical Engineers' Journal (Vol 49 part 4) is about TAT1, with dozens of technical articles about many aspects of it.
Closed Thread