UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2020, 3:38 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Free Sky Arts channel

For those who may not be aware, the Sky Arts channel will be on Free View [Ch 11] from Thursday 17/9/20 ie free to view [an historic event maybe].
It's listed all week in the current Radio Times but without a channel number until the first transmission on FV.

There's often some vintage content on SA that links in with the Forum. For example there is a new documentary "The Undiscovered Tony Hancock". It just misses the "start up", as it's shown on Wednesday but should appear a week later. Many of this weeks earlier programs are, in fact, already repeated next Thursday and Friday particularly "Hendrix and the Spook", a new Doc about his untimely death. It was [apparently] shown last night but is also listed at 1am Friday [ie Saturday 19/9]

Another new program, shown on Friday at 9pm, features Guy Garvey, from Bury, looking in to the TV Archives re Kate Bush, 1979. I'd often felt that I would perhaps be willing to pay for Sky Arts in a small bundle of channels including SA but their business model has never allowed for that. Now you can't really argue with the price. Check it out Free View fans.

I don't know if it's some sort of a philanthropic gesture [unlikely] or maybe an attempt to outdo the BBC on their Charter requirement to Educate, Entertain and Inform etc. Significantly yet another new offering "Sky Arts Late" 90 minutes begins on Thursday at 10-30 pm. Radio Times seems to think it's Sky throwing down a challenge. Definitely a freebie as far as I'm concerned but perhaps with wider consequences We shall see!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Sep 2020 at 3:44 pm.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 4:19 pm   #2
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: Free Sky

Thank you for the update. I saw that the original channel there was moving (yet another irritation common with TV channels).
With it being Sky it is more likely a taster which will be around for a while before going, as many have in the past. It is interesting though that it is near the corrosponding BBC channel which commonly has their arty programs.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 4:35 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I have enjoyed some programmes on Sky Arts but I usually watch more TV in winter see if it’s around come winter.
As with many 24 hour stations there are lots of repeats.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 5:25 pm   #4
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I found out about this by accident just a couple of days ago and became rather excited. I've never had anything more than I can get down the log periodic for free so I am looking forward to giving it a go. I'm with Dave W in as much as I might have been tempted to buy it in a small bundle or a stand alone but not with a lot of stuff in which I have no interest.

I'm not much of a TV user. I used to enjoy BBC4 when I got a digital set at DSO - there was always something 'a bit educational' worth watching - but I feel it has gone down hill greatly. Too many repeats of cheaper programmes I've seen umpteen times before whereas the ones I really hope may come around again never do. There's been a rumour going around that it may be dropped in favour of reinstatement of BBC3. Perhaps Sky figure there's a gap to fill and may use it as a taster. 'Full' Sky News wasn't always on Freeview - just some rotating headlines IIRC.

Anything that may occasionally tickle my tastebuds for vintage programme history a la the Hancock programme or vintage music or vintage anything will be welcome.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 6:30 pm   #5
barretter
Heptode

Default Re: Free Sky Arts channel

I get some Sky channels as part of my TalkTalk TV package including Sky Arts. While there a few interesting shows, there is also a lot of pop music and programmes about film stars ; and it is very repetitive. Good to have an alternative to BBC4 though particularly as I can only receive Freeview "Lite" where I live and that doesn't include channel 11.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 6:50 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

There is an announcement about this at the end of RT's feedback pages. As feedback (readers' letters) is the first thing I read once I've finished with the crossword and other puzzles, I noticed this before looking at the actual programme pages.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 6:57 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

As an aside, I've just noticed that the Smithsonian [57] and PBS America [91] channels are also FV newcomers, at least here in the SE.
They seem to be the HDD versions so perhaps not on all multiplexes? The Rammy Relay was the last in the country to get CH4 and it isn't much better now.

Dave

Oh yes your right Dave but I had to look twice. Feedback right at the back. What does that tell us?The "SKY ARTS GOES FREE" heading is a little buried in the BBC SURVEY section headed [biggest Font] "How To Help TV lighten up" [in the screen brightness sense]. I'd thought it was about program content at first. The main advice is to use an App [of course] as a Light Meter and draw the curtains! We used to do the latter in the 1950's with a 9" CRT set!

I tend to look at the letters first as well but sadly, mine is never there. I'll try harder now I know you will be looking out for me.

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Sep 2020 at 7:19 pm.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 7:04 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

... and presumably only available if you have an HD receiver.
Old 13th Sep 2020, 7:57 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Maybe but I'm viewing on the two 14" CRT portables in the workroom at present. One's fed by an older FV Box and the other a Panasonic DVD Recorder [EX86]. Try it and see

Dave
Old 15th Sep 2020, 1:52 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Re what I said about tomorrow's "The "Undiscovered Hancock" program [in post 1*] which just misses Thursday's 17/9/20 start up of Sky Arts on Freeview-bad news A look at the new edition of Radio Times today, shows it's NOT being repeated next week, unlike many other programs shown since Saturday the 12th. I looked at the Sky Arts website and it seems that tomorrows transmission is, in itself, a repeat from 2018. It may be that they will show it again after Thursday but if anyone with Sky and the ability to record and copy it to DVD for me can help, I'd be very grateful.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 15th Sep 2020 at 2:01 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 2:34 pm   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Pick is SD ch 11, have to what happen with the change over on the 17th.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 3:11 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Pick is another Sky channel. It may well disappear to make room for Sky Arts.

Sky is no longer owned by the Murdoch clan, and the TV strategy has changed as a result. Murdoch loathed FTA TV, and would never allow any of the Sky branded channels on platforms like Freeview, apart from Sky News. He didn't really like even SN to be FTA, but accepted commercial realities in that case.

The new bosses at Sky have obviously decided that SA can make more money through advertising and sponsorship than it can as part of a subscription package. Most people who sign up for Sky subscriptions are only interested in movies or sport anyway.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 3:40 pm   #13
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I have had occasional access to Sky Arts on Satellite and the main downside is the heavily repetitive nature of the content but they did get occasional gems which were worth watching, like English National Opera's recent version of The Barber Of Seville.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 4:11 pm   #14
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Pick is another Sky channel. It may well disappear to make room for Sky Arts.

Sky is no longer owned by the Murdoch clan, and the TV strategy has changed as a result. Murdoch loathed FTA TV, and would never allow any of the Sky branded channels on platforms like Freeview, apart from Sky News. He didn't really like even SN to be FTA, but accepted commercial realities in that case.

The new bosses at Sky have obviously decided that SA can make more money through advertising and sponsorship than it can as part of a subscription package. Most people who sign up for Sky subscriptions are only interested in movies or sport anyway.
Had a message on my TV today re Pick moving to another channel number but can't remember it .
Maybe it's not another retune because it was not prompting me to do another retune.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 4:16 pm   #15
dave walsh
Dekatron

Pick is currently on 11 here in Bexhill Frank. Shown as on 34 after tomorrow in the Radio Times. Hang on, they've just put up a banner to say it's moving to 34, so that confirms it

Dave

Thanks for the info about Sky's new owners Paul.

Last edited by dave walsh; 15th Sep 2020 at 4:23 pm.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 4:50 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Just had a chat with a Freeview and an SD decoder will work, from the info on this page it seems a retune will be required.
https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/sky-...ch-17-sep-2020
Old 16th Sep 2020, 7:04 pm   #17
electronicskip
Nonode

In this area channel 34 is currently listed as MERIT , maybe tomorrow i will try a retune if it does not change automatically.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 8:50 pm   #18
dave walsh
Dekatron

Same here but it also shows NO CHANNEL. I think Sky will be there at 6am tomorrow Es. Don't forget Hancock at 9pm tonight [if you've already got SA!

Dave.

[Oh and my request at 10*]
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:07 am   #19
Mooly
Octode

I've just tried again this morning (8am) and still no change in the channel line-up. Channel 34 which was there before (Merit) has now gone completely and with a 'this channel not in use message'. This is on Winter Hill.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 9:31 am   #20
Superscope
Octode

Likewise here in Cornwall at 9.28 am

Pick is still alive and well on Channel 11 from
Caradon Hill.

It is still showing a Banner claiming a Channel move to 34 today!
Interesting to see if it still happens.

Never watched Sky Arts, but Pick has some interesting stuff occationally.

Ian
Closed Thread